Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Sound system switches on, but no sound comes out! Two

Customer Question
Sound system switches on...

Sound system switches on, but no sound comes out!

Technician's Assistant: What is your speaker connected to or paired with? Are all cables connected tightly?

Two speakers are connected to CD Receiver RCD-M40/RCD-M40DAB

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a different audio source (e.g. another TV, computer, or CD)?

Have tried CD which plays, but no sound comes out

Technician's Assistant: The Home Theater Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/2/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty amplifier circuit or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv) though repairs are often not feasible unless it is still under the factory warranty as it can cost as much to fix as to buy a new system.

I can help you with finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Thanks for your help.I have taken the system back to the retailer.
It's OK now.Thanks, again.Kevin O'Loughlin.
Nathan, Engineer