Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

No sound from portable device attached. Bose speakers, wires…

Customer Question
No sound from portable...

No sound from portable device attached

Technician's Assistant: What is your speaker connected to or paired with? Are all cables connected tightly?

Bose speakers, wires appear sound. apple phone connected via portable earphone port

Technician's Assistant: Have you tried a different audio source (e.g. another TV, computer, or CD)?

No. unfortunately this is in an office and I have no other handy units to try out

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Answered in 1 day by:
11/30/2017
Technician: Richard, Customer Service replied 7 months ago
Richard, Customer Service

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Can you tell me the make and model of the portable device?

Thank you

iPhone 5. Amp is a denon avr-e200.

ok, and you are connecting the iPhone to the earphone port on the Denon?

no. there is a different port on the front labeled "Portable" - standard 3.5 mm jack. there is also a separate earphone jack, large plug size.

Thanks

Did you switch the input on the Denon to the Portable input?

I’ve cycled through all the inputs. There two sets of class 2 wire speaker connectors on the back. One is labeled surround with three separate ports, l, c, and r. This is preferable but I get nothing. The other has just l and r. This one produces sound but only at very high volume level, eg 80, with static feedback too. I’ve also tried blowing dust out of the ports.

ok, the input needs to be set to portable., you are pressing on portable?

It’s definitely on portable. No question there

ok, if you disconnect the phone, and play music, do you hear it playing it?

did that. Phone plays the music just fine. Headphones connected to phone also work fine.

Try another device on the Denon please

Second iphone, this time 7Plus, same result

Remove the power to the Denon (so unplug it from the wall), wait 10 minutes, connect the power, turn it on and tell me if it then functions correctly.

Thank you

Unplugged, waited 15 minutes. Connected different iphone, still nothing

Thanks

It is the portable plug or module that has faulted in the Denon, this is the only cause left.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

If it's the portable plug that has failed, why does it work with the speakers in one set of the connectors at a high volume? That set has only two connectors, as opposed to the three desired for surround sound, but they do produce sound. I don't understand that.

Either the plug or the module, if the speakers work in some configuration the the module.
We have rule out dust in the plug

Cable

Device

Residue power

This is the only remaining cause for this