Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Have a Sansui 11000 integrated Amp that stoped working the…

Customer Question
Have a Sansui 11000...

Have a Sansui 11000 integrated Amp that stoped working the power supply seems to get very hot in about two minuets

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Sansui 11000 i think around 1975 to 1978 have had it since new

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Pulled apart today found that power supply was very hot let it cool down disconnected all the out going wires switch back on then it got bery hot in about two minuets

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
11/22/2017
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 8 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...Sansui..."

Is a multi-meter available?

Please post back with clear pictures of the power supply / area heating up. Click / tap HERE.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
These pictures would then serve as common references allowing me to see what you are seeing.
And to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Sorry for my late reply I had it checked out it is the transformer that has failed, the amp is Sansui AU###-##-#### we had a look for part number of transformer no luck nothing on it . Im keen to git this amp going again . I took it today to a repairer shop, I see what they come back with . Its a great amp , still some about selling $2,000 US if they are able to fix it should I have any thing ells done like the caps because of its age .

Appreciate the additional information.

Determine the wire colors of the primary winding of the transformer. If this is the export/international version, then it would have a voltage selector switch for provisions for two (2) 100V and 120V which are wired for in series for Australia's 240V. brown & orange and yellow & blue

If the transformer has failed, it would most likely be on the primary side. If so, then possibly just 1 of the 0 - 120V winding has opened up. The Sansui can then still operate using the other good 1 x 120V primary winding just like setting it for USA use. The workaround is an external 240-to-120 step down transformer something like the products shown HERE.

Hi again,

Any update?

Is further information / assistance still needed with the Sansui?