Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I can wait. I have an amp and one of the channels has a

ForCustomeronly. I can wait. I...
ForCustomeronly. I can wait. I have an amp and one of the channels has a fault. Please provide a list of culprits and necessary steps. Whats the best way to clean off corrosion on the board. I have removed the board with the transistors. Whats the best way to test them?
11/17/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi again and welcome back to JustAnswer.

Initially, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary considerations and tries (if have not been done):

• • since the other channel is still working, then that particular good channel can be used as a reference/template in locating the suspect components in the faulty board with the use of a multi-meter;
  • • use alligator clips with wires similar to the items shown HERE to connect the 2 boards and form a common ground between these 2 boards;
  • • connect the black probe of a multi-meter to this common ground;
  • • set the multi-meter to low range Ω mode;
  • • select a test point (any) in the good board;
  • • get a reading using the red probe;
  • • locate the same spot/test point in the faulty board;
  • • get a reading using the red probe;
  • • compare readings;
  • • repeat using mid range;
  • • if (nearly) identical Ω value, then the parts on/near that selected test point is presumably good;
  • • any deviation, then that part/test point is highly suspect;
  • • once suspect part identified/located, de-solder and test out-of-circuit;
  • • please click HERE for a video tutorial on how to test a transistor;
  • • and HERE for testing output/power MOSFETs;
  • • after a soldering job and/or to clean corrosion, use an old toothbrush and plastic safe / non-staining CRC 2-26, DeoxIT DN5 or LPS 03116 Contact Cleaner or equivalent.
Is it a good idea to remove channel 2's output section and connect with a dc power supply and test?

No harm in that but since the suspect(s) are removed, then tests would not be conclusive.

How is this?https://www.homedepot.com/p/CRC-11-oz-QD-Electronic-Cleaner-05103/205021975

For some reasons, access denied. Perhaps a regional restriction.

Still, if it is an electrical contact cleaner, then it would also serve the purpose.

Yes, would serve our need for cleaning + an old toothbrush.

Louie one of the output boards is bad. It produces low output and distortion. I swapped it out with a good output section and the power supply side is fine. I measured the transistors and they all seem fine. What else can it be?Also, there appears to be corrosion on the board? What can cause this? If the amps are left in a garage with the hot and cold weather would this affect it?Certain traces had to be jumped as they were corroded. What can I safely use to stick the jumper wires on the pcb? The wires I used are from at cat5 cable solid strand copper lines with insulation.
Also how is this?https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000-WATT-8-ohm-test-DUMMY-LOAD-non-inductive-for-audio-amplifier/292215401541?hash=item4409652c45:g:SG4AAOSwo4pYfUf-

If the output transistors are good, then:

• capacitor and/or resistors (least likely);
  • smaller drive transistors (likely);
  • cold solder / connection issues (most likely).

Yes, dampness and humidity can cause corrosion particularly if the capacitors hold residual charge; almost like electrolysis.

The bridging wires may be held to the board with silicon sealant. I use RTV sealant for high temp automotive gasket. Please click HERE.

And yes, these dummy load would serve the purpose. I particularly like the idea of soaking them in transformer oil for heat dissipation.

Can you recommend a sealant from homedepot? So this sealant will not destroy the insulation of the jumper wires, be conductive or destroy the pcb?

Unfortunately, access denied again to https://www.homedepot.com/

Thanks.

Any and all would do the job. All are electrically inert; i.e. non-conductive at any state/temp/condition.

Louie, Technician
Would these be a better solution than hot glue?
Homedepot does have them in stock? How about the below link?https://www.harborfreight.com/3-oz-rtv-silicone-red-90026.html

Yes too. as any silicone based sealant (gasket) is inert; i.e. electrical neutral hence provides very high electrical insulation.

And appreciate again the rating.

Ok thanks.How do these compare to hot glue gun?How much time do these gasket sealers require to set?

The typical cure time (drying time) for silicone caulk; about a 3/16" bead "normally" completely cures in 24 hours. The cure time could vary depending on the moisture in the air. Lack of humidity will make the curing process slower.

Glue gun would also do the job in a fashion but as its name implies would require a heated applicator whereas the silicone sealant is ready to apply from the tube. Perhaps more importantly, the silicone can withstand high temp while the glue would soften/melt at the presence of heat.

I'm still getting distortion and about 50 percent power level loss from one of the output board. The output transistors dont show any short or are not open. Whats the best way to isolate the output transistors.

Please post back with clear pictures of the board and the output transistors op & bottom

Thanks

check email
Louie, it looks like U543, Q504, Q533, L500, Q511, R518 need to be replaced. Something accidentaly shoted and blew these components. Can you send me links from digikey for replacements please.

Sorry to hear of this.

For some reason, Digikey appears not to have these parts:

• U543 - could it be U503? If yes, LM6364N HERE from Mouser;
  • Q504 - 2SC2336BR;
  • Q533 - MPS8097 from Mouser;
  • L500 - 470uH;
  • Q511 - MJL3281A from Mouser;
  • R518 - 100Ω from Mouser.
Would this be a good replacemetn for L500?https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/EPCOS-TDK/B78108S1474J/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsg%252by3WlYCkUwkmiFJnoZ0dGmfCpRG0Y60%3d

Yes; should work since the same 470uH

Are all the other values the same?

The schematics only provide this particular value; 470uH.

Is that the most important value? If the other values differ a bit will be detrimental?
Ok also the LS Bias pot is bad can you find a replacement

Yes; the inductance is the critical value. The physical size would determine its current carrying capacity and in this instance negligibly low thus the size would just be for circuit board hole fitting.

Low Side Bias is 500Ω. Please click HERE.

I desoldered one of the legs of the output transistors like Q519 and it tested fine no short not open. Is this test sufficient to say the output transistors are %100 functional? I didn't apply any load to it.Also, I was thinking about using 2-4 water heater elements like the picture and put it in a 50 gallon bucket of water as dummy loads. What do you think?

Would depend on the DC resistance of the heater element and how good is the insulation preventing direct water contact with the element(s). Water of course is a conductor of electricity and therefore would have its own electrical resistance.

I believe they are 8ohms load
I desoldered one of the legs of the output transistors like Q519 and it tested fine no short not open. Is this test sufficient to say the output transistors are %100 functional? I didn't apply any load to it.

IF all the output transistors showed nearly identical readings and the same with a known to be good output transistor, THEN yes; these output transistors are good too.

I need replacement parts for R505, R556, R568, R566, Q534, Q531, D523, D524, D506

For:

• R505 - High Side Bias is 500Ω. Please click HERE same as R556;
  • R556 - see above;
  • R568 - 100K HERE;
  • R566 - 10K HERE;
  • Q534 - 2N4123 HERE;
  • Q531 - MPSW92 HERE; might as well replace Q532 too same value
  • D523 - 1SS143 no source / no substitute;
  • D524 - 1N4148 HERE;
  • D506 - MR822 HERE.
Also C520, C512, C506, C500, C504

For:

They dont have c500 in stock. Will this be a good replacement?https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=490-9412-ND

Yes; it is also rated 47pF @ 250V

Would this be a good replacement for Q531? Not available at mouserhttp://www.newark.com/diodes-inc/ztx757/transistor-pnp-300v-500ma-1w-e/dp/98K4087?rpsku=rel3%3AMPSW92

Yes.

As earlier posted two (2) would be needed. Considering the cost, order some more for stock/spares.

Happy Thanksgiving Louie.

...and Happy Thanksgiving too.

Louie I'm still having problems with one of the output boards. I removed the opamp with a good one same low output and distortion. I also removed all the out transistors with another board and still same problem. Have narrowed it down to the board with the opamp. What can it be?Also, when testing an amp with a signal generator and a dummy load is it a good idea to test for 30 minutes to make sure the amp is good? Will this damage the amp in any way?Also, looking at all 3 amps do they share the same output transistors, opamps and other major components?

On:

• narrowed it down to the board with the opamp - Part Number please of these OP-Amps
  • good idea to test for 30 minutes - as long as there is a dummy load, then it would/should be safe. Amp damage can only happen if there is still a weak/failing part.
  • 3 amps do they share...major components - to m,y understanding and based on the schematics, yes.
Louie I confirmed it wasn't the op amp and its not the output transistors. Whats else could it be. I hear music but when I start to increase the gain I hear distortion and it only goes but so much higher in levels.

The above was meant to determine the circuitry and components likely to be causing the distortion near these OP-Amps.

The part number for the opamp is LM6364N

Please measure carefully the voltage between pin 15 and pin 13 of P500 of the suspect board.

Its very hard to measure voltage because the boards are connected together and slide into the rear of the chassis and are not accessible. Any way I can test p500 without powering up the board?Also, what does this chip do?

These are module connectors.

Use a known to be good board similar to the board in question. Join together these 2 boards to have a common ground using alligator clips with wires.

Using the Ω function of a multi-meter, test compare the readings of the various pins of P500.

...do the same for U503.

...and even Q531 and Q532. These two transistors form a differential pair and critical in the LOW SIDE BIAS configuration.

OK I will do that soon. Can you find a replacement at digikey or mouser?

LM6364N - not available from either Mouser, Digi-Key. Please inquire HERE and HERE.

MPSW92 - from Digi-Key HERE.

Louie I found a break in the line on pin 6 on u503 to be bad. I will fix. Would this be the culprit?

Yes, definitely; as pin 6 is the output of U503 and directly affect the LOW SIDE BIAS.

Ok I'll let you know soon.

Nice find!

u503 is the opamp for all output transistors?What specifically is its role in the circuit?

U503 indeed is an OP-Amp but in this particular application, it is used as an sensor amp for the dynamic and static balance of the output. Any deviation from normal operation and U503 magnifies it causing auto-protect to kick in.