Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I am looking for a CD player which will be compatible with

my Onkio Quartz Locked Receiver...
I am looking for a CD player which will be compatible with my Onkio Quartz Locked Receiver which I purchased in circa 1979
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: I purchased it in 1979. I will have to look for the model number.
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: i had purchased a CD player, but the sound is terrible. It would seem as if I need a CD player with no preamp.
JA: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
11/17/2017
Aric, Engineer

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Offhand most CD players don't have any kind of a preamp built in- just a standard 1 volt line output signal (common for most line output devices). That said, can you get me the model number of the Onkyo so I can look into this?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
TX 6500 MkII

Thank you. Taking a look now. Offhand do you recall what brand/model CD player you had tried, and what Inputs on the Onkyo it was plugged into?

Did you try hooking up the CD player to the Phono Input? If so, that has a built in EQ/preamp designed for turntables exclusively and that would cause very distorted sound. The "Tape In" jacks on the Onkyo will allow any standard CD player to be used with the receiver.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I do not recall the brand of the latest CD player, but it was the second one I have tried. The inputs are all on the rear of the receiver I tried a couple, including the phono one which worked fine with the record player.

Yes, the phono Input WILL NOT work with anything besides a turntable. It has 40 db of gain and a special RIAA EQ built in to correct the EQ curve recorded onto the grooves of vinyl. A standard CD player (ANY component CD player will work), would be connected to the "Tape IN" jacks on the back of the Onkyo, and will have a line level signal without distortion.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I will try that with an Onkyo CD player. Thanks.

You're welcome. If you run into any distortion at lower levels, or while turning controls- this would indicate that the controls on the receiver would need to be cleaned.

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Aric, Engineer
Aric, Engineer