Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Miles SI 1230. When i turn it on the speaker plays for 2-3…

Customer Question
Miles SI 1230. When...

Miles SI 1230. When i turn it on the speaker plays for 2-3 seconds then the protect light goes on and that's the end of it. I tried running each station separately but same results. Basically the PROTECT light stays on.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?

Niles SI 1230. 5 years old. worked until now

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Didn't do any troubleshooting except shut off all speakers and then tried each one separately. No results

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Answered in 6 days by:
11/21/2017
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 7 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially and to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than / to address the above.

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • and the only easy user doable try would be to try with no speaker / wires connected;
  • • test each speaker for resistance.

Still and in most instances, it would be an internal hardware issue. Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

If proceeding with a DIY, foremost checks on the slide bridging switches (most likely) at the input board for corrosion and then the amp modules (likely).