Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I HAVE A DENON AVR S930H. I HAVE CONNECTED USING A ZONE 2

Customer Question
I HAVE A DENON AVR...
I HAVE A DENON AVR S930H. I HAVE CONNECTED USING A ZONE 2 CONFIGURATION AND 5.1 SPEAKERS. MY ZONE 2 SPEAKERS ARE NOT PICKING UP SOUND. IN ADDITION, WHEN I USE ONLINE SERVICES FOR VIEWING MY TV, THE SOUND IS NOT BEING PICKED UP BY MY AVR. I USE A CABLE BOX WHICH CONNECTS VIA HDMI TO THE AVR AND FROM THE AVR TO THE TV. SOUND IS RUN FROM THE TV VIA DIGITAL OPTICAL AND RCA CONNECTORS TO THE AVR. CAN YOU HELP ME?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?
Customer: VIZIO XVT553SV. SEE HOW MY CONFIGURATION IS SET UP IN MY PREVIOUS MESSAGE
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: THIS IS A NEW SET UP WITH A NEWLY PURCHASED AVR
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO, THANKS.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
11/14/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 month ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

What sources/content are you trying to use for the 2nd zone?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The second zone source is the Rca connectors which I have labeled blue ray only for convenience purposes to match the front panel push bittons

What is connected to those rca cables though, what is the actual source device?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The Tv audio out. I also have a digital optical audio out from the tv to the AVR, but the manual indicates that zone 2 can not be assigned to the optical.

Okay and what is the source/content you're using on the tv itself? Antenna? Or just the cable box passed through the receiver?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cable box passed through the reciever through HDMI. that comes through the 5.1 speakers just fine. But when I go on through the Tv directly over my home network for Netflix, for example, I get no sound through the reciever or through zone 2 speakers in either scenario

Thanks for confirming,

that is not going to work for z2. Z2 requires an analog source, it cannot work off digital inputs (hdmi or optical), and what you are doing from the tv won't work either. Those tv red/white ports will only work for the tvs internal tuner (antenna) connection. You may be able to get sound for z2 by connecting the red/white from the denon directly to the cable box.

As for the tvs apps, you'll need to use optical from the tv back to the denon and set the denon to the TV input mode to pick that up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can get both internet sourced and cable box sound only if I go from cable box tontv first and then to reciever. But this degraded the sound. As it travels on optical not hdmi. It seems I am just screwed on the zone 2, which is highly disappointing since this is the new model of denon reciever for Home theater.

analog only on zone sources is industry standard and you'll find that same restriction on virtually all av receivers regardless of brand or age. Even the much higher end models have that limitation.

Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 25 days ago

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?

Please note: You have already paid your fees to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Engineer