Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My receiver is cutting off on a regular basis. What could be…

Customer Question
My receiver is cutting...

My receiver is cutting off on a regular basis. What could be wrong.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?

AVR589 FC DE 36. 8-9 years old

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I don’t know what happened. I have tried no trouble shooting

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
11/14/2017
Technician: Electrotech2017, Audio and Video Technician replied 8 months ago
Electrotech2017
Electrotech2017, Audio and Video Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** I'm happy to assist you with your Receiver issue. Please explain in detail the nature of the cutting off. Is the receiver shutting down completely with a power led flashing or is the sound cutting out only ? Do you hear any relay click when it happens ? Do get sound back what do you have to do increase the volume, tap on the unit or wiggle on the back cables ?
The receiver goes off and my tv goes off I have to get up and push the power button for the receiver and tv to work. My receiver controls the tv too. The power light goes red and I get up and push the button to make it green and tv and receiver comes back on.
I have had this set up for 8-9 years.
First I would try to turn off the HDMI control at both sides, the TV and Denon receiver. You will find that in the settings. Usually the Denon receiver is controlling all devices such as TV and other sources. After that continue testing your unit and see if the Denon receiver still shuts down.
The HDMI board could have possibly gone bad. The unit might continue working fine without the HDMI control on. If the unit still shuts down on its own and the standby led is not flashing, then the HDMI board has a defect. The board is unfortunately no longer available.
In addition you can try a Factory reset as well, which in some cases resolves corrupted software on the HDMI board.
To do a reset:
Press the power button, and speaker a and speaker b simultaneously and hold until the display begins to flash then release speaker A and speaker B buttons. That resets the microprocessor.
Do you have any other questions ? I'm more than happy to answer them for you. Have you tried the reset ?
If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied.
Hello just touching base with you again to see if you need any assistance. If not please take a moment to rate my service as is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. Thanks
Technician: Electrotech2017, Audio and Video Technician replied 7 months ago
Hello just following up on your question. Do you need any other service ?