Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

Russound 1250MC - no audio. normally 6 red LEDs on, only

Customer Question
russound 1250MC - no audio...
russound 1250MC - no audio. normally 6 red LEDs on, only leftmost illuminated now....all others off
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: Russound 1250MC. probably 8 years
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: was working fine. It sits in a cabinet with a single sonos audio source feeding it and a number of 8 ohm loads. Been working in this config for over a year it just stopped and this is what lights are on. Have power cycled, have removed from power, have checked power supply fuse, have plugged into power source at different locaiton
JA: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Answered in 1 day by:
11/15/2017
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 29 days ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

Initially, the described symptom almost always point to an internal hardware issue or more particularly a power supply / distribution concern.

If it were an amp auto-protect kicking in, then the LEDs would be orange.

The absence of a LED light would point to a low or missing supply.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I am and yes I do.

Great on the DIY!
Please post back with clear pictures of the internal circuit boards. Click HERE.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
These pictures would then serve as common references allowing me to see what you are seeing.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
here you go
2017-11-15 11.23.28.jpg2017-11...jpg2017-11-15 11.23.44.jpg2017-11...jpg2017-11-15 11.23.55.jpg2017-11...jpg2017-11-15 11.24.05.jpg2017-11...jpg2017-11-15 11.24.18.jpg2017-11...jpg2017-11-15 11.24.30.jpg2017-11...jpg2017-11-15 11.25.32.jpg2017-11...jpg
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 28 days ago

Appreciate the pictures and apologies for delays; mobile/fieldwork with sluggish Internet if at all.

Actually, we have a big help in the form of 1 of the boards; i.e. the "...only leftmost illuminated..." This board would serve as our reference/template.

First to check would be that the common/chassis ground is shared by all of the boards and the power supplies; multi-meter set to low range Ω. The lower the Ω value the better or preferably 0.0Ω

It would also help to have some alligator clips with wires similar to the products shown HERE.

The idea is to still ensure that all boards share the same/common ground with the careful use of these alligator clips with wires. Cautiously check/connect the ground of each board to the chassis ground. Then connect the multi-meter's black probe to this common ground.

Use the amp board that has "...red LED...illuminated..." as testpoint reference. Test a terminal/connector and note down the readings. Say the white, blue, black and red wires. Then go to the next board and the same set of wires. Repeat on all 5 boards. Compare readings. Any difference and that would point to a potential suspect.

Then remove the connector of these wires.

Repeat on the terminals/pins of the connector on the board.

The same procedure for any and all parts/ pins/legs, connectors.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Hey there Louie,I've had a busy week with other things, and now have had a chance to look at this amp. What I found on all the amp boards was:All grounds are about .4 ohms to chasis. All boards.
All other leads going in to each board from power supply are all high open to ground. All boards. All colors
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I'm tempted to pull the power on one board at a time and see whether the other lights all come up - and roll through all the amp boards to see if one is drawing the others down.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
OK - I pulled the power supply connectors on all the amp boards. Here are my observations:
- all grounds on all amp boards are connected to the chasis ground - clearly via their output connectors
- all grounds on the connectors from the power supplies are open loop!Sounds like a fuse or a bad power board to me. Can you advise - is this your conclusion as well? can you tell me where I can get a power supply main board (I think the daughter board that distributes to the first two amps is probably fine??
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 22 days ago

Likely yes and agree, a potentially bad power supply or sections of it.

From the earlier pictures, it would appear to be a SMPS (switch mode) type. There seems to be three (3) sub sections and each section supplies 2 amp boards.

1 of the 3 would be the squarish board off to 1 side above the main PSU board. Let's focus on this board first.

I would presume half of it is still working since and as earlier posted, 1 amp board that has "...leftmost...red LED...illuminated..."

Clear closeup pictures of this separate squarish PS board please; component and trace sides.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
OK - will shoot these shortly. Some general comments and questions:
1) do you have advice on how to disconnect the connector for the link between the squarish daughter board and the main power board
2) After I had disconnected all the amp boards from their power supply connections, and powered it up to see what happened - the same leftmost red light came on - so it isn't providing any indication of health for any of the amp boards.....Will have photo shortly

On:

1. do you have advice on how to disconnect the connector for the link between the squarish daughter board and the main power board - press first on locking tab and pull connector from the main power supply board;
  2. disconnected all the amp boards from their power supply connections, and powered it up to see what happened - the same leftmost red light came on - so it isn't providing any indication of health for any of the amp board - by process of elimination, it has (for now) removed the amp boards as potential suspects and shown us to focus now on the power supply board
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Photos
2017-11-22 17.12.08.jpg2017-11...jpg2017-11-22 17.11.54.jpg2017-11...jpg2017-11-22 17.12.30.jpg2017-11...jpg2017-11-22 17.12.43.jpg2017-11...jpg

Thanks.

PSU board / unit unplugged, compare Ω reading with respect to the blue wire (ground).

If comfortable with, plug the board/wires back in and perform voltage checks. Ensure safety and that no part would short to ground and/or any of the other parts.

Using the blue wire as common ground, carefully check for +40V on the white wire and - 40V on the black wire. Do the same (to compare) on the other half.

A friendly reminder: voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the unit be plugged in and turned on. It is therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.

Louie, Technician