Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I am trying to connect a receiver STR DH 130 with a record…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to connect a receiver STR DH 130 with a record player and having difficulty

Technician's Assistant: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?

Not a TV

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I just started. Tied following insructions

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

The FM works, just not the phono player so I know the speakers are connected

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
11/11/2017
Technician: Aric, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Aric, Engineer

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

What Inputs on the Sony are you trying to connect the turntable to please?

I have tried all of them

Okay, the Sony doesn't have a phono stage built in- which is what's causing you problems. A turntable is not the same as a "Line Level" source and as such it requires a "phono preamp" connected between it and a standard receiver. Do you have a phono stage/preamp in the loop?

A turntable by design is 40 db quieter than a CD player and also has an RIAA curve recorded onto the grooves of the vinyl, that is why a phono preamp is needed. A suitable preamp for a standard MM cartridges can be purchased at Best Buy at the link below for $20 and change:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pyle-pylepro-ultra-compact-phono-turntable-pre-amplifier/5175607.p?skuId=5175607&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=711e3d4c-e2ed-4d8f-a838-f8a895f326d7&ksprof_id=16&ksaffcode=pg265324&ksdevice=c&lsft=ref:212,loc:2&gclid=Cj0KCQiAuZXQBRDKARIsAMwpUeQhLlbj1uw6_4VbqpBq1ARDineqPDo_-b-zyn6t0hNtVnpilQlTf-caAihhEALw_wcB

Simply plug the turntable into the inputs on the preamp, and then from the "line outs" on the preamp to any of the inputs on the Sony receiver and the turntable will playback through the receiver as it should.

Are you still with me here?

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

I was just wondering if you needed further assistance with the question you posted.