Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

Louie I have an amp would like to know best way to test.

For Louie only.Louie I have...
For Louie only.Louie I have an amp would like to know best way to test. Please describe the necessary steps.
10/11/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi again Johnny and welcome back to JustAnswer. As before, I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, it would be to your advantage to have access to an AC Ammeter similar to that used by aircon technicians something like the product shown HERE.

Other than this, I also use a small monitor HERE.

Additionally, a variac would also help. A variac is a variable transformer that allows gradual changes in the available input voltage to the amps; 0V AC to 120 and in some even to 130 or even 240. This would help reduce onrush of current . Click HERE.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a variac and its a 12 amp max with a regular 120v15amp plug.How would the small monitor come into play?I have a fluke 289 with an ac clamp meter attachment which can measure up to 400amps.Can you explain how each of these devices will play a part?

The idea is to be able to monitor how much current is being drawn by these amps. Above normal current flow would already tell us if there is a fault. The monitor and/or AC ammeter would be able to measure this current flow.

The variac is able to provide the amp with low to normal 120V AC meaning the voltage available to the amp can be varied. This would:

• prevent sudden inrush of power to the amp good if there is a fault;
  • allow us to observe the current flow build up;
  • back down if there is an unusual current flow.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok so I have the variac.Will the Fluke 289 with ac clamp meter work?I will order the small monitor. Should I get the "100A(Closed Current Transformer)" or the "100A(Open-close Current Transformer)" ?

Yes, the Fluke 289 should be able to do the job.

Still, the monitor would let you bench test/run the amp freeing the Fluke 289 for better / other purposes such as circuit board DC voltages test/monitoring.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will order the small monitor. Should I get the "100A(Closed Current Transformer)" or the "100A(Open-close Current Transformer)" ?Just to reconfirm the fluke 289 clamp meter will work just as well as the ac ammeter you recommended.We need 3 things. So I have 2 and need to order the small monitor?

Yes; the Fluke 289 with the AC clamp ammeter attachment would do the job of the aircon tech's clamp ammeter.

For ease of installation, please get the "100A(Open-close Current Transformer)"

Incidentally, it may be an added advantage to use load resistors aside from your regular test speakers. A couple of 300 watts and/or 500 watts.

These would be useful if several amps would be attended to and if these repairs would continue on to other units in the future.

These resistors would also lessen the chance of damaging the test speakers.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
load resistors will be used first to confirm all well then use speakers.How would you recommend to mount the resistors as they will get hot?Also, how many of each to get? Some of them get to 2000watts at 2 ohm. Does that mean we would have to load it to that?

The higher the wattage capacity the better but would suggest 4 Ω. Get at least 4 resistors where 2 in series X 4Ω = 8Ω while 2 in parallel X 4Ω = 2Ω.

Mount the resistors on fireproof blocks with blower fans.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do these looks compared to what you suggested?http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-8ohm-8R-500W-Watt-Power-Metal-resistor-for-tube-amp-test-dummy-Load-/191572833675?epid=906880715&hash=item2c9aa1758b:g:MjkAAOSwPhdVR3kPhttps://www.ebay.com/p/2pc-8ohm-8r-300w-Watt-Power-Metal-Resistor-for-Tube-Amp-Test-Dummy-Load/1692102083?iid=191527772334&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3D06a1f8e160854ded90150e47e4933df9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D191572833675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

8 of these 500Watts would serve the purpose

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How does this differ from your recommendation?

These are 8Ω / 500Watts whereas I proposed 4 x 4Ω / 500Watts

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. If I order 1 set for now just to see the quality since I have never dealt with this vendor would that be good. We could load down to 4 ohms at 1000watts. If they are good then I will buy more. Would that work?

Yes, good plan; add more if good quality yet still would work for the initial tests.

Louie, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok great.
Customer reply replied 7 days ago
Louie the variac I have it 120v15amp capable. Would this be enough?Also, the small monitor came in. Can you example connectivity and monitoring.

The amp would need a variac that is at least 26 Amps capable.

For the monitor, please click HERE for the wiring/connection.

Louie, Technician