Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Mitsubishi receiver m-av1 and after I turned the…

Customer Question
I have a Mitsubishi...

I have a Mitsubishi receiver m-av1 and after I turned the volume really loud I hear a click and the receiver stop working

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Mitsubishi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

MODEL M-AV1

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I measured the fuses and they are good

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

There was a second double click and tell me that the receiver is good , now I can hear that double click

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
when I was powering on usualy I was hearing one click and after 3 seconds another click but now I cannot hear
that second click
any help?
the LCD is working but not audio
the issue start happening after I turned the volume loud and I hear a very loud click and not sound after that
any help
10/5/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow us time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

If you plug in headphones, are you able to get audio through them?
Is the display or power light flashing at all?

No audio at all, lights on the display are good, the unit was working good until I turned the volume all the way up 80% I was able to hear a little click that tell me that something blown out
Before the issue when I power on I was able to hear a click and another click after 5 second but now I only can hear one click

That is exactly what happened, the unit is either in a protection mode or you blew out some components in the amplifier output stage.

Try unplugging the power, and disconnecting all of the speakers, wait at least an hour,

then power it on with nothing connected (leave the speakers and inputs disconnected still) and see if you get any clicks, and try headphones at that point as well if you can.

Ok I will do that now and let you know later
anything else that I can try, is there any specific component that I can test?

Not at this point

ok thanks, ***** ***** let you know what happen soon

You're welcome!

Hi, I did what you told me to do but still same issue
I can hear only one click when I power ON but no the second click after 5 seconds

Thank you for checking,

unfortunately that does confirm that there is a hardware failure here and that the internal power supply or amp output is damaged.

This is most likely the result of the amp being blown by over driving it, but could easily just be normal age related wear and tear. This is a 27 year old model that was built for a service life of about 5 years. There are no parts available for them and it would not be considered repairable. Component level repairs, assuming even generic electronic parts can be sourced, would cost you far more than the system is worth and more than you would spend to buy a brand new model with updated current features and a fresh warranty. I can recommend some replacement options for you if you would like.

My apologies for the news,

I would like to repair this receiver

I would not consider it worth trying to repair.

If you wanted to try, you would be starting by testing the voltage outputs of the power supply and look for any burned or damaged output transistors in the amplifier stage. Keep in mind that this is a digital amp, there is a lot of integrated circuitry on these which is where the likely fault is, and none of those components are repairable.

could you provide me a link to download the schematic?

There is no publicly available or no cost version of that, there are some options to purchase a service manual if you would be interested in that.

you do not have any other solution, or recommendation, I think you are the expert on this electronics
I need to fix it, general answers is not what I was expecting for you guys

For this model, no, unfortunately I do not have other specifics for you. I do not have the service manual available as well, nor would most repair shops given the age of the system. Again it is so far past its service life at this point at nearly 30 years old that they weren't expected to be around to even need repairs, no one stocks parts or schematics for these anymore. I can send you a link to a source where you can purchase a service manual if you'd like.

what I know is this, you guys charge me for help me troubleshooting the device, what are you taking about, buy new one, I can say that too to my customers
is there any other technician that could help me troubleshoot this device
Could you transfer me to another technician?

I've already opted out. If another tech wishes to help, they will step in if and when available.

Please do not respond back further here, as it will cause further delays and route you back to me preventing you from getting any other responses.

Best of luck to you with the receiver.