Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

No sound. The screen shows that the cd is playing but no…

Customer Question
No sound. The...

No sound. The screen shows that the cd is playing but no sound.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?

Where is the info located. I can't find it anywhere. I have had the system about 5 years.

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I use it mainly through the wireless link to the computer. I have done a hard reboot twice, checked the amplifier, but everything seems to work except the connection to the separate amplifier. Also, the speakers on the Bose itself have no sound.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

That's it. I have never had any problem with the unit before.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Could you tell me the model of your system?

Does this happen only on cd, or also with the computer sound?

It happens with both, however, the screen timer shows that the cd is playing. I cannot find the model number on the radio. It was the model sold about 5 years the radio with cd

So is it a bose wave radio?
There would be a model number on the back starting with AWR or AWC.

It is a Bose Wave. The only id is a serial no. 04417C92967340AC
you still there ?

Yes I'm here, I'm sorry I missed you earlier.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as 5 year old system, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is already at/past its service life.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; however repairs are generally not feasible. There are only 2 repair options in the country and the cost of repairs can be about as much as a new radio with a fresh warranty.

I can help you with repair options or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?