Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I'm getting distortion on my zone 2 speakers. I have had a…

Customer Question
I'm getting distortion on...

I'm getting distortion on my zone 2 speakers. I have had a technician check all the wires but I am still getting distortion. The speakers are brand new. I have an ONkyo RZ-810 receiver.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?

Brand new. Onkyo RZ-810

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?

This is a brand new install. Speakers played clearly the first day but I have had distortion ever since. A tech from Magnolia came back the checked all the connections and speaker wire but the distortion is still there. I suspected the analog volume controller but the tech said it was fine,.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?

The speakers are Definitive Technologies outdoor speakers.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
10/3/2017
Technician: ITPeter, Engineer replied 10 months ago
ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

What all sources have you tried listening to?

Does the problem occur with all sources or just some?

Are all speaker wires connected securely?

Can you upload a sample of the distorted sound to YouTube or a similar site?

Do you have any other speakers that you can try?

I have tried all sources. Directv box, Pandora, Bluetooth, and phono. It happens with all sources. According to the Magnolia tech all the speakers are wired securely and there is no damage to the speaker wire. There is an analog volume control for the outside speakers that I suspect is the problem. He assured me that it was fine. I will try to record the distortion and upload it. Any other suggestions.

A sticky analog button can cause noise distortion - it may need to be disassembled and cleaned with electrical contact cleaner.