Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I am trying to control a Pioneer VSX-31 elite receiver via…

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to control a Pioneer VSX-31 elite receiver via IP....and it works once the receiver is already "on"....but for some reason it won't wake up when I send the power-on command. It did a while ago when I set up the control network...but now it doesn't. Seems like it needs a wake-on-LAN command, or a setting changed on the receiver. But nowhere can I find that information.

Technician's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

VSX-31 is exact model number.

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Read the original text I sent. It's been going on for months. It did work at first...not now. I have a static IP address set in my router to the Mac address of the receiver, so it always gets assigned the proper IP address...and it does respond to commands (change input, volume up/down, power-off, etc)....but it doesn't respond to a power-ON command, which it did originally.

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

No How much does this cost....didn't know there was a fee. Is it only $5, and is there a fee regardless of whether or not the tech can resolve the problem?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
My home automation system is SimpleControl. I can use my iPad or iPhone to control everything in the home (including my home theater components), and can also use Amazon Echo to control things via voice command. Everything seems to work fine except that the VSX-31 won't turn ON if it's off when the system sends a group of commands (such as commands to turn on all the components, connect the receiver to the input for blue-ray player, and connect the TV to output from home theater receiver (VSX). I send the command by touching on button on the iPad, etc. Everything else turns on but not the VSX-31. If I manually turn on the receiver, then it seems to receive and take action on all other commands it receives via IP control. It used to work fine....so there must be a small tweak needed somewhere....just don't know what to do. Thanks in advance.
9/25/2017
Technician: ITPeter, Engineer replied 8 months ago
ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Technician: ITPeter, Engineer replied 7 months ago

How old is your VSX-31?

Only 2012 or younger models support Power-On thru LAN.

Don't know the age, but it has worked before...and now it doesn't. Simple Control (home automation system) shows VSX-31 in the compatibility list...they only list the VSX-30 as not supporting power-on through LAN. Mine is a newer model....the VSX-31.

Check the manufacture date, it should be written on the rear or on an internal board.

Newer VSX-31 models made after 2012 do support Power-On thru LAN.

Since this unit worked before and now doesn't this can't be a manufacturing date issue. It didn't get older. �� It must be a setting, etc.

I would need to know the manufacture date to advise further.

Can you see the manufacture date?

The sticker on the back of unit says MFD JULY 2010. However, it DID work properly before...then suddenly it stopped after some months. So, I think there must be a setting that got re-set and needs to be changed to make it work properly again. What does Pioneer say? Is there perhaps a firmware update that will address this?

It may have worked intermittently somehow previously, however Pioneer are saying that it should not work at all if it was manufactured before 2012.

It was never intermittant....I programmed everything and when I said "play a movie" all of the components, including VSX-31 powered on, all inputs and outputs were switched as programmed, the lights int he room dimmed, and the movie started playing. Boom...done. Then one day it stopped working unless I fiddled with it...then it stopped working unless I manually turned on the VSX-31 first. Is there a Pioneer firmware upgrade to address this, or?
Weird thing is that SimpleControl lists the Pioneer VSX-31 as compatible with their IP control capability. They list the VSX-30 as limited in compatibility, due to no wake-on LAN.... But VSX-31 is listed as fully compatible. So, what next?

By intermittent, I mean it worked previously and is not working now.

VSX-31 is listed as fully compatible if made after 2012. It may work occasionally if made before 2012.

What about firmware updates from Pioneer? I looked on their site but don't see any downloads for the VSX-31. Is the issue that the hardware can't do it...not the firmware?
Where do you find the listing from Pioneer that shows the mfg dates, and the lack of support for wake-on-LAN function for VSX-31s made before 2012? Again, SimpleControl shows the VSX-31 as fully supported for home automation (including WOL)...so if it shouldn't be, I'd like to be able to point them to a source for that info.

Firmware updates will not help - it is a hardware design.

Here is a link to the source:

https://www.simplecontrol.com/check-compatibility/

-----

Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars and press Submit at the top of your question; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back after rating me if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

I already had that list. It doesn't say anything specifically about 2011+ Pioneer models not working with wake-on-LAN... It DOES mention that the VSX-30 doesn't support that function. So, with that info and the experience of it working before, I thought there was something more I needed to do...which is why I reached out hoping for some new information.

I cannot see any information at all that says the VSX-31 DOES support the wake-on LAN function before 2012.

If it did work, and then stopped working, then perhaps the Ethernet connection is damaged or some of the solder joints are bad.

Have you tried checking the LAN Ethernet socket to ensure all 8 pin connections are good and working?

The LAN cable is fine...all other functions work perfectly...just not wake-on-LAN.

There are 8 connections in a LAN cable connection - not all 8 connections are required for all functions.

It is very important that you try using a different cable, and also check the solder joints on the Ethernet connector itself - it is common for a solder joint to go cold or fail, and the LAN connection will still retain the majority of its functions except for the one that is no longer connected.

The LAN cable is fine...have tried others. There aren't any solder joints in the LAN cable...it's all crimped connectors. The switch that the cable is plugged into serves several devices and switching ports so the receiver's LAN cable is connected to a different port doesn't change its behavior. I was looking for a firmware tweak or a setting to change to address this issue because Simplecontrol shows it as being compatible and talking with their distributor / training guru / tech support resulted in my being told "it should work fine".

The LAN port on the rear of the Pioneer VSX-31 unit is a RJ45 connector which is soldered to a board inside the Pioneer VSX-31.

There are 8 pins on this connector.

You will need to open the unit and ensure that all 8 pins are securely soldered and connected, and that none of the 8 contacts inside the RJ45 port are bent or broken.

Hi, just checking in on your question. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press submit so I am credited for my time, otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

ITPeter
ITPeter
ITPeter, Engineer