Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My remote is filthy and the buttons are sticking. what's the…

Customer Question
My remote is filthy...

My remote is filthy and the buttons are sticking. what's the best way to clean it?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?

Gimme a second

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?

AVR-1801, remote is RC 939

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
9/23/2017
Technician: Eric, Technician replied 8 months ago
Eric, Technician

Hey there! my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I will do all I can to provide you with excellent service and answer your questions as quickly as possible. While I take a moment to read over your question, please read the following:

• The offers you see for Remote Assistance or Phone Calls are not me recommending them, it is this website. I am more than happy to accept a request for one if you wish, but you do not have to.
  • Please keep this browser open, so that we do not lose contact. If you close it, open your email to find links back to this question.
  • I will continue helping you until your question is 100% answered, please ask as many follow up questions as you want to.
OK, let's get it done
  1. Take the batteries out of your remote control, this is very important.
  2. Get a small soft towel (like a face cloth, or terry towel, micro fiber, etc.)
  3. Fill a small container with warm water and just a couple drops of Dawn soap (yes, Dawn is actually the best to use as it will not leave residue and will pull off the grease and stickiness the best)
  4. Wring out the cloth so it is only barely damp, not dripping water. and use it to scrub the remote
  5. Let it dry for a day, just to make sure no moisture is inside the remote
  6. Reinsert the batteries, and you should be good to go!

Please take two seconds to rate my service before you leave today at the top of this page. Remember it is my service you are rating and nothing else. If you feel my service has been anything but excellent, or you have follow up questions, please let me know before rating :)

Bookmark this link to ask me questions directly in the future: http://bit.ly/AnswersByEric

Thanks, ***** ***** don't think that will take care of the residue around the buttons. Thoughts?
It's not cosmetics I'm trying to fix. The buttons stick so it won't function.

Yes, it will, because as you are pressing down on the buttons to clean them, they will be pressed in enough to get the residue around them as well. It may take a little while and some patience, but definitely use Dawn soap!! You can also use QTips, and rubbing alcohol, if your buttons are sticking too much and don't actually function.

I could have wiped it with a towel to get rid of the dust on the surface, that's not my question

Using Qtips and rubbing alcohol around the edges of the buttons will remove that stickiness. I do not recommend trying to take it apart and cleaning it, as that rarely ends well.

If you use the rubbing alcohol, you do not need to worry if it gets the remote "wet".. just make sure the batteries are out and let it dry overnight.