Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Denon Changer Receiver UD-M5. It was purchased in…

Customer Question
I have a Denon...

I have a Denon Changer Receiver UD-M5. It was purchased in 1999.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?

The cd disc which there are 3 do not play the cds.

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?

I have not done any troubleshooting. Personal Component System/CD Auto Changer Receiver UD-M5, Oct 1998, 810A104544, 120 V, 60 Hz, 60 W, made in Singapore

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
9/23/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

I can assist you with this, but to be clear, this is a paid support service where you are getting expert help from the convenience of home. We are all licensed experts here and charge a very fair price for our time, the fee is not $5, that was only the deposit to post your question, the total is the amount you signed up for on the payment page. If you'd like to confirm that you may click on Account then Account history, or contact customer service with any questions. Please let me know when you are ready, if you wish to proceed after you understand the costs.

Nathan, how is my answer coming along? Additional input: 1) purchase unit in Oct 1998, 2) #810A104544. Are you going to be able to help me sooner than later? Craig Aitken

Thank you for the info, Craig,

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Example cleaner disc) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

I will try your suggestions. Stay tuned. Craig Aitken

Thanks Craig