Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I've been in the process of installing whole-house audio in…

I've been in the process...
I've been in the process of installing whole-house audio in 5 zones in my house. My question is how many speaker pairs can I safely run with my receiver? Here are the specs I've got:Receiver--Sony STR-DG510--http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/sony-str-dg510
Speaker Selector--http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/is6paspseimp.html
Speakers--https://www.insigniaproducts.com/pdp/NS-C6500-A/8235224
"Impedance Matching" Volume controls in each zone--http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/vmimmaslvoco.htmlI've run three of the planned 5 zones without any seeming negative effect on the receiver to my knowledge.If I understand correctly the speaker selector has impedance protection to make sure the impedance does not drop below a safe level for an amp.Can I run all 5 zones from this amp simultaneously?
9/22/2017
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Your only limitation here would be the selector switch, that it can run 6 speakers (not having connections for more),

though as you add more and more speakers, you are effectively dropping the power to each speaker as you increase the number, so you may have some volume limitation as to how much power you can get from the speakers, but you can safely operate more speakers at lower volume just fine.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Actually the selector switch can run 6 speaker pairs, I'll have only 5 pairs total. Right now running three pairsSo, to clarify, if I run 5 speaker pairs (total of 10 speakers) off of this receiver will I damage the amp in the receiver? I do understand the volume issues. I just don't want to fry the amp.

Yes that is what I meant, 6 pairs, so 12 speakers.

You will not damage the amp so long as the impedance matching is happening, and that actually takes place through the switch in this circumstance. Your amp is safe.

Nathan, Engineer
Nathan, Engineer