Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Marantz 5002 receiver will not turn on. The flashing

Customer Question
My Marantz 5002 receiver will...
My Marantz 5002 receiver will not turn on. The flashing stand by light is on.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
9/21/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 10 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Is the standby light on solid, or flashing?

Flashing

Thank you for confirming,

This is a protection circuit kicking in to protect the receiver from damage.

This could be caused by a short in one of the speakers or components, thermal fault, or an internal defect in the amp itself.

You can try a few fixes yourself. To begin, with the receiver powered off, disconnect all speakers and components. Try to turn it back on in Tuner (am/fm) mode and see if it will stay on. If it does, power off and reconnect 1 speaker, then power on to test again. Continue this process until you isolate the speaker or component causing the problem, or until everything operates normally.

Let me know the results, or lack thereof, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Nathan not sure where to start. There are over 20 cables plugged into the receiver?

The speaker cables primarily need to be removed. You can get by without disconnecting the source devices (hdmi cables, etc) if needed but it is preferred to remove them all.

Do the speaker input cables have a specific color - I don't see anything labeled speakers?

The speakers would have pairs of red and black cords typically, one for each speaker.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.