Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We recent;y had a out on our power, and the only thing it…

Customer Question
We recent;y had a...

We recent;y had a brown out on our power, and the only thing it effected was our stereo receiver, it was plugged into a surge protector , which is still good. and the power cord is still good ( checked it this morning) I had the top off of the receiver because i thought it cou;;d be the fuse. it still good. any suggestions?

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?

Yamaha rx-a810

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Checked the fuse, power cord and surge protector it was on and we had a brown out with house power the night before

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
9/21/2017
Technician: Joe AV, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Joe AV
Joe AV, Engineer

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I would like to see if I can help. When you hit the power button do you hear a click, then a second click?

i hear nothing, im hoping we can fix this

ok. Please allow me one minute to review. I will be right back.

ok

Few things to try if you haven't already..... Please ensure you try the physical power button on the device instead of the remote. Please also try plugging the yamaha in directly to the wall instead of the surge protector. While you do that I am still researching.

Ok

The fact that you are not even hearing the clicking noise makes me feel like there is no power getting to it. Typically you would hear a click and a second click if there were something wrong electrically with the unit

Is it something I could fix?
I plugged it directly into an outlet. Still nothing

Unfortunately I think it needs to go out for repair. It seems the protection circuitry has been activated and as a safety precaution capability to turn on the power is disabled. This is only repairable by a yamaha dealer or service center. I wish I had better news. I am very sorry to have to inform you of this.

I figured as much :( thanks for your help, I would imagine it may end up costing quite a bit and a newer one that looks like it (my husband) at Best Buy is $500

Yamaha is generally a good brand. It may be worth a quote at a repair center. But yes they are in that range. What kind of surge protector do you have? Some surge protectors give warranties on the equipment they are connected to. They usually cover repair or replace. But if it is just a no name power strip, this will likely not be the case.

I hope I helped you a little. If I have, please rate my service on this page. If you have any follow up questions please feel free to ask. Thank you very much.

I'm not entirely sure which brand it is. It's behind our very large TV and I can move it. But thanks for your advise. It's much appreciated

No problem. Thank you in advance for providing me with a positive rating!