Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I have a DVD Home Theater Sound System, mod #

SC-HT740/SC-HT9+40/SC-JT743. The remote control has...
I have a DVD Home Theater Sound System, mod # SC-HT740/SC-HT9+40/SC-JT743. The remote control has recently ceased to function at all. I have changed out three sets ob batteries to no avail. The sys still works under manual control. Is my remote defective? If so, is it possible to purchase a replacement?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Panasonic , SC-HT740
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: A week or so. I have tried all the troubleshooting suggextions in the operating instructions.
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: What are my solution options?
9/18/2017
Aric, Engineer

I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Do you have a digital camera or a cell phone with a camera so that we can test this remote please? Let me know and we can proceed.

Just wondering if you needed assistance with the question you posted?

I have both.

Thanks. Please turn on the camera on your phone, or digital camera (it does not matter) and view the tip of the remote through the screen. Press any of the buttons on the remote and let me know if you see a flash of light.

Are you able to see my reply behind the pop-up offers from the site?

It will take me a couple of minutes to retrieve my cellphone. Should I simply pick up this discussion when I have the phone and the remot in hand?

There's no need. I'll post everything here. Please give me a minute.,

If you DO see a flash of light from the remote through the screen of the camera (it's an infra red light so not visible by the naked eye), then the issue is not the remote and actually that the IR sensor on the Panasonic main unit has failed and it would require repairs.

However if there is no flash of light then this indicates the remote itself has failed and simply needs to be replaced. In that case you can purchase a replacement remote at the link below:

https://www.amazon.com/GenuineCopies-Replacement-Panasonic-SC-HT740-SA-HT740/dp/B06Y16DBTK

Let me know if you need further assistance. Also, before you go, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING (by scrolling all of the way to the top of the page, and clicking 3-5 stars), so that I am credited for working with you today?

Do you need further assistance with this?

I am back. When I push thew power button on the remote I do not see any light. However, when I press the button there does appear to be some reaction from the camera.

Please elaborate on what "some reaction from the camera" means.

What I meant when you did the test was to view the tip of the remote through the screen of the camera- press any button on the remote and check for a light from the tip of the remote ONLY visible through the screen of the camera. Did you see on yes or no please?

On the camera screen I note the appearance of a circle in the middle of the screen; seems like the remote must be causing this but yet I do not see any.light

Hmm, that's bizarre. Is it an iPhone by chance?

As to whether the remote is the problem or it is the main unit, did you note that I said that the main unit functions OK using the manual controls? My phone is an ANDROID.

Okay, let me say two things: 1) Since there is not a light from the remote when viewed through the Android- the remote is not functional. 2) The Main unit has an IR SENSOR that can fail and the manual controls will STILL WORK. That's why we are testing to see if the remote or the main unit is the problem. Do you understand what I mean on #2?

So based on the fact that you do not see a clear visible light through the screen of the Android when the remote's buttons are pressed, the issue IS in fact the remote itself. That is good news- and further up the page if you scroll up a bit you can see the LINK I posted to where you can purchase the remote for this system.

Based on all that I've posted on this page- do you need further assistance with this?

Understand. That said, how do we determine where the problem is? Is it a viable course of action to purchase a new remote and see if that is the problem? If so where might I look to buy it? I have had this unit for seven or eight years. Would the remote still be available for purchase?

I've surmised that you're not able to see all of my replies. Let me repost what I had posted earlier in the thread- it has a link to the remote.

OK

Got it. I'll pursue that action and see if it works out. Thx for your assistance.

You're very welcome and best of luck. Also, you paid the website a deposit to work with me, but I am not actually paid unless you click a positive rating. Could you do that for me please?

Aric, Engineer
Absolutely, if you tell me where on the site I can do that. I do not readily note a place to do that.
Chech that last response. I just spotted it at the top of the screen.
Aric, Engineer