Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I got a new Samsung sound bar and it works for all my

Customer Question
I got a new...

I got a new Samsung sound bar and it works for all my devices except my robust.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your device? How old is it?

Roku

Technician's Assistant: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?

The sound bar is brand new, never had one before. It is plugged into my tv with optical. Roku stick is plugged into hdmi on tv. Why will the sound bar not play sound coming from the roku? Roku video work great, just no sound at all

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the Video Expert to know before I connect you?

The roku stick is also brand new

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
9/12/2017
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 11 months ago
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially, re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the "...Samsung sound bar...TV..."
And to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted other than the above

This is an independent site and members of this online community provide information, repair tips, technical assistance as a form of paid Q & A service.

I can get you that info later, not looking at it now, but it's a Samsung sound bar with Bluetooth connected subwoofer. It has an optical in, which I connected to the optical out on my tv. My tv has a number of components plugged in to the various inputs and they all work. I needed an extra hdmi port so I bought. 3-1 hdmi switch. It has a button that allows me to toggle between my Xbox, wii, and Roku. The xbox and wii work perfect. But when I switch to Roku there is video but no sound. I have switched the ports on the switch around, but no matter, still the Roku has no sound. So strange! I have also replaced my Roku, but the new one has the exact same issue.

Even if just for test purposes, what happens when the Roku is directly plugged into an HDMI port of the TV bypassing the 3-1 switch?

Just tried it, even plugged directly into the TV HDMI port, the Roku plays video but no sound.

Then a most likely compatibility issue between the 5.1 surround format of the Roku and the TV/soundbar (Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos, others).

Please try configuring the Roku for stereo.

Select a movie or TV show. On the description page for the title, select Audio and Subtitles. Under Audio, make sure that the Stereo option is selected.

On the Roku settings, I have audio settings to manipulate. I've tried all settings and nothing works. Under audio I have audio mode and the choices are stereo or auto. Neither works. Below that I have HDM I and the sub choices are auto detect, PCM stereo, Dolby D, Dolby D plus, Dolby D, DTS, and Dolby D plus, DTS. None works.

But is there Roku sound from the TV's built-in speakers themselves?

No there is no sound at all from the Roku. Not from the TV speakers and not from the sound bar either

Unfortunately and by process of elimination, the Roku would still be the primary suspect.

Still, bear with me; with Roku set to audio > stereo / HDMI >PCM-stereo, try / unplug the Roku and then plug back in after a minute or so.

If still a no-go, then a second replacement may be in order.

Before I try that, let me explain another real strange peculiarity. I have a set of wireless headphones. The terminal that sends the signal to my headsets is plugged into the audio out with red/white plugs. The headset works, even on Roku. No sound from the Tv or sound bar, but yes to the headset. However, with Xbox and wii, the headset works, but only if the tv volume is also up (which defeats the purpose). I can't separately control the headset volume (up) and the tv speaker volume (down) as I used to do.

Unplugging everything not just the Roku would simulate a soft RESET. Please consider this.

If the soundbar has also a pair of red & white RCA jacks as input, then the Roku may be connected to the sound bar using a pair of RCA-to-RCA cables. A crude workaround but worth trying again even if just for test purposes.

Also bear with me further; there may be delays in my next replies as I would be mobile with sluggish Internet if at all.

Well I have disconnected and reconnected the optical cable connecting the sound bar to the TV with no change. I could unplug the other various inputs into my TV, such as the cable box input, but I don't think that's going to make any difference. Isn't it strange that my headphones which plug directly into the AV outports of my TV no longer Can be controlled independently for volume?

That would be dependent on the features of the TV / model number. Some models have the audio out that can be set as VARiable hence can be controlled by the volume settings.

On the other hand, the same AUDIO OUT jacks can be set to FIXed and as its name implies, a fixed line level output that is independent of volume level settings.

Interesting. When I used to use the headphones, I would simply lower the tv volume to zero, and turn on the headphones and turn up the volume control on the headset and be good.

When able, the TV's model number please. TNX

Samsung he-km36 sound bar
Sharp lc46d64u
I reset my tv and now things are better. All inputs (except Roku) ply through the sound bar and I can control tv volume and headphone volume seperately. So it's all perfect EXCEPT the Roku will not play through sound bar, only Tv speakers

Have you tried / can you try "...audio out with red/white plugs..." to the soundbar's 3.5mm AUX IN using a cable similar to the item shopwn HERE.

...or even from the TV's R-AUDIO-L OUTPUT jacks.