Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a denon air 1791 and my zone 2 has quit playing a…

Customer Question
I have a denon...

I have a denon air 1791 and my zone 2 has quit playing a separate signal. i have not done anything or changed install, etc. any thoughts as to instructing me how to configure amp again for separate zone setup.

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?

Denon avr 1791, 5 years

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Nothing happened. tried to configure but cannot figure how to setup separate zone

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
9/9/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

What source/content are you trying to play through z2?
Are you saying that z2 won't play anything at all? Or it works but will only play what is coming out of the main zone at the same time?

the zones still play. previously, i was able to watch satellite in z1 and play iPod in z2. it stopped. it is possible my kids messed with settings as i have nothing to do with cables, etc. i am trying to configure.
only plays out of main zone.

Okay as long as you have z2 set in the amp assignment, and they are giving you some audio, it isn't a settings/configuration issue just a source selection issue.

Can you recheck your model number for me, what you sent isn't quite right.

In the meantime, try pressing the Z2 on/off button on the front panel, then immediately after turn the source knob to Ipod, and then turn up the volume, and let me know if that works.

sorry, Denon AVR 791. i tried your option and still main zone volume comes into z2

Thanks, ***** ***** it again using the remote. First turn the denon off.

Then turn on using the remote, and use the zone select button so that Z2 lights up on the remote, then turn on zone*****and set the source to ipod.

does not work
still main zone audio

Does the ipad work in the main zone?

somehow we need to configure z2 to where it can recognize the iPod.

Are you using the ipad on the usb port, or analog ports?

Try setting the main to ipod first, then do the same for z2, then go back and change your main to satellite again

if that doesn't work, we'll need to do a microprocessor reset next

i have done this and it does not work. repeated again. no zone changes.

Okay we will need to reset then,

power it off with the front panel power button

press and hold the surround mode <> buttons on the front

keep holding while powering back on, until the display starts flashing, then release

You will have to go through some of the setup steps again after this (speaker setup, telling it you are using a 5.1+z2 speaker arrangement in the amp assign section, etc). Then you can test the zone function after that.

this was setup by a 3rd party. will you be able to walk me through the speaker setup prior to me resetting.? I am concerned that i will wipe out all settings and be in worse shape than i am currently.

There really isn't much to it, other than the speaker setup which is mostly automated using the calibration microphone that came with the receiver.

It is a guided on screen setup where it just asks you some questions about the speaker placement.

ok--i will give it a try

Thanks, ***** ***** a bit more than I can guide you through step by step, but if you get stuck I can help you on specifics