Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Over the last few days I have noted that when CDs are now

Over the last few days I have noted that when CDs are now being played same stops at times and may - or may not - resume playing a few seconds or a few minutes after.
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: I have had my Bose Wave Music System ((number 033975) for around a dozen or so years now. During the period it has been trouble free. However since last week, when CDs are now being played the sound occasionally stops and after a few seconds - and sometimes after a few minutes - it may or may not resume playing..
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Nothing. None.
JA: Anything else you want the Theater Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Example cleaner disc) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have been traveling and won't be back at base until next week. I haven't therefore been able to to try what you suggested but will do so next week when I am back at base.

No problem at all, take your time and feel free to follow up with me here whenever you're ready.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Didn't try the first (the blowing out) method you suggested because of the fear of getting chemical into the system. However I had one of those cleaning discs lying around and tried that this morning and it seemed to have worked. Thanks.