Home Theater-Stereo

Home theater questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an Onkyo receiver/amp model no. Tx-nr509. The sound…

I have an Onkyo...

I have an Onkyo receiver/amp model no. Tx-nr509. The sound seems to have died about 4 months ago. Wondering if it's worth fixing? Searching it seems you have to live in Canada, USU or Europe to get any joy. I live in Sydney, Australia. Regards. Peter

Technician's Assistant: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?

TX-NR509. Maybe 4 years old

Technician's Assistant: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?

It appears all functions are working through BVD player, TV & cable TV box, radio but no sound even though controls show sound control

Technician's Assistant: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?

If it's worth having fixed?

8/21/2017
Louie, Technician

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.
Initially and to avoid asking you to do something you've already tried, can you please tell me what / any and all troubleshooting / specific steps you've already attempted ?

Louie, Technician
Since all 5 speakers stopped sound, I unplugged all devices which from remote and manual control appear to be working apart from no sound. I just tried the receiver FM & AM, still no sound. I tried re configuring the sound set up. Still no joy.
Phone call session started
NB I'm in Australia +61###-##-####

Unfortunately, Premium Service / Phone Calls only work with US numbers. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Still, have you considered / tried a RESET ?

Sorry was just re connecting all the speakers again. Ok I can try again, but not too confident

Consider a RESET. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you venture to try: Please click / tap HERE.

May have to be done a number of times.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose/cause other issues.

Tried it a couple of times still no sound on radio stations

And can you please try plugging in a pair of headphones? ...a couple of times; i.e. plug-in / unplug...plug-in / unplug

It requires a large jack. Have quick look

Yes as this would be the standard 6.3mm (US ¼ TRS) plug.

Sorry I can't find one. Trying to find a stereo plug but no luck

The headphone jack has a hidden speaker cut-off switch hence the headphones would serve for test purposes.

Still and to my understanding, the Australian version has a Direct and/or Pure Audio mode. Can this be tried please?

How does that go? It currently is recognising a local station

In some versions, there would be a PURE AUDIO button above the headphone jack.

Sorry, don't understand; "...How does that go? It currently is recognising a local station..."

Sorry have pressed pure audio button. I have male eyes.
Button on. Display has turned off

Display OFF is to be expected.

PURE AUDIO off, can you try Listening Mode / Direct?

That's on
No sound

As it would be be an internal hardware issue, are you then considering/attempting a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even perhaps a soldering iron?

Multimeter is working and have solder & iron

Great on the DIY!
Please post back with clear pictures of the internal circuitry. Click HERE.

These pictures would then serve as common references.

Ok. Give me time to open it

No prob.

Taken photo , however, the +Add files macro won't let me upload it to send to you. Maybe I can email it to you?

The site limits file sizes to 5MB or less

Ok, however, email has a no reply

Try imgur or Dropbox

Too many photos in a queue for Dropbox
Have downloaded Imgur, totally new to me, my username is ***** ***** a few funny additions

Post back with the direct links to where the pictures where uploaded.

Onkyo issues, circuit board

Appreciate the picture.

Still, let's try check and review the basics. Proposed preliminary tries (if have not been done):

• • check fuses F6901A and F6902A;
  • • verify that power relays RL 691, 692, 693 & 694 are engaging;
  • • detemine if the speaker relays are clicking on RL662, 660, 663, 665 and 669;
  • • test for +/-56.2V @ P6901B & P6902B respectively.

A friendly reminder: voltage measurements by its very nature requires that the unit be plugged in and turned on. It is therefore LIVE! Please exercise due care and caution.

Incidentally, was this TX-NR509 working before?

...or was it tried to be repaired / modified in some way?

I bought it new. Everything appears to click on. The speakers were originally working on all 5, then towards the end only on the central which is on a separate board. I'm just double-checking the fuses
I'm not really qualified to pull circuit board s apart

Have you at least checked the 2 fuses ?

both fuses fine 0 ohms

The primary suspect would be the two (2) STKs power pack IC modules attached to the aluminum heatsink.

Only if comfortable with, check for the presence of +/-56.2V @ pins 1 & 2 of each IC pack using the chassis as common ground.

A word of caution; it would be very easy to accidentally / inadvertently short the pins with the metal portion of the multi-meter's test prod.

56.5V registered on both
Don't suppose it's the sound cards?

"sound cards"???, the 2 black IC modules? ...possibly.

Again only if comfortable with:

• connect speakers to the FRONT L & R and the CENTER;
  • turn on the Onkyo;
  • hold the black probe of multi-meter;
  • touch the red probe to pins 10, 14 and 15 if STK 443-530 / Q6001.
No voltage on 10,14 & 15 on STK 442-730 and stk 443-530 pin 10 55 V, nothing on 14 & 15
Might have stop for awhile, thanks so far Louie

I understand.