Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I have a elite media receiver pro-ro6u and the tv will not

Customer Question
power on. The receiver Standby...
I have a elite media receiver pro-ro6u and the tv will not power on. The receiver Standby led is flashing and the on led is blank. I have reset power. What else can I do?
JA: Is your TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?
Customer: Straight to an outlet
JA: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
8/19/2017
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 3 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2004 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This set is significantly (about double) past it service life at this point and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $600 for diagnostics, parts, and labor. This is assuming the parts can even be found, most for these media units are no longer available. The receiver itself cannot be purchased alone either other than the occasional used one off ebay and the plasma display (tv) cannot be used without it.

For a tv of this type/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.

Nathan, Engineer