Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I've got a Sony surround sound system, model SACt390 and my

Customer Question

I've got a Sony surround sound system, model SACt390 and my sub-woffer aren't working. The green light is on so I suppose that it's receiving a signal but no sound is coming out.
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: It's a Project Surround system and I got in February.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I just noticed it today, but the system hasn't sounded right for about a month. I've unplugged the unit and I tried different options in the menu section of the remote.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The LED display doesn't stay on.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Expert:  Louie replied 2 months ago.

Initially, unplug both the bar speaker and the subwoofer for an extended period of time. Thereafter plug back in but into a different outlet bypassing any power strip. Even if just for test purposes, move the two close together while performing links/connections.

Still and if not corrective, then the described symptom of "...LED display doesn't stay on..." is indicative that the Sony has kicked in auto-protect mode. It would almost always be an internal hardware issue..

Would the unit be still under warranty?

Or are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?