Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Yeah I have a av receiver vsx 524 and it seems like its

Customer Question

Yeah I have a av receiver vsx 524 and it seems like its locked out or something. There is a blinking light next to the hdmi, nothing will work. I have tried to reset it by holding the band button and standby/on button at the same time for 10 sec still no response. Is there any way you can help me out?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And have you done any troubleshooting yourself?
Customer: Its a pioneer AV Receiver vsx 524
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have been reading the owners manual and tried to reset it by holding the standby/ on and the band button for 10 sec nothing happens
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

This is a protection circuit kicking in to protect the receiver from damage.

This could be caused by a short in one of the speakers or components, thermal fault, or an internal defect in the amp itself. Given the age of the system, it is likely a hardware failure.

You can try a few fixes yourself. To begin, with the receiver powered off, disconnect all speakers and components. Try to turn it back on in Tuner (am/fm) mode and see if it will stay on. If it does, power off and reconnect 1 speaker, then power on to test again. Continue this process until you isolate the speaker or component causing the problem, or until everything operates normally.

Let me know the results, or lack thereof, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nathan I have all the speakers disconnected and the hdmi light is still blinking with no response from the receiver. The display screen wont even turn on. This is very disappointing because the receiver it self is only a couple years old.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for confirming.

I understand your disappointment, but this is the norm for a pioneer receiver. They are built for a service life of a couple of years and it has done exactly what it was designed for. Pioneer only gives a 1 year warranty.

Since it continues with nothing connected, that does confirm it is an internal hardware failure, which is a bad video or main board. This is something that would require repairs, though that would not be feasible. It would cost you about $650 just for the part alone, when you factor in labor you're easily spending double what the system is worth. You would be better off to buy a brand new model with updated features and a fresh warranty. I can recommend some better quality models for you, if you'd like to replace it, or help find a repair shop if you wish.

My apologies for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work as an independent technician.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.