Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Audio optical out on my Denton X2200, cannot get audio

Customer Question

Audio optical out on my Denton X2200
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: cannot get audio optical out on my Denton X2200
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Cannot detect an optical out
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Are you trying to OUTPUT optical FROM the denon, or to INPUT optical signals TO the denon?

Can you tell me a bit more about what you are trying to accomplish here?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've purchased a Sennheiser RS 175 with optical digital audio. It works on my smart TV optical audio out but the system is connected to a Denton X2200 amp. The amp has two optical audio in connections but no optical out. Can I get an optical out connection installed on this amp?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry it's a Denon amp
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

No, you cannot. This model does not support that type of output functionality and it is not possible to add it.

The only way this would work is if you did the red/white connections from the z2 output to the headphone transmitter, or used the headphone jack on the front.

Those are both problematic as well because headphone jack use will kill the main speakers, and z2 will work only for analog inputs.

You would be better off in this case routing everything through the tv as the primary step and optical or hdmi arc from the tv back to the denon for sound.

You can add in an optical splitter if needed to share the tv output with the amp and headphones.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not sure how to rout everything through the TV as a primary step. Currently the Denon is connected to the satellite receiver via HDMI and optical audio. The TV is connected to the Denon via HDMI only. The apple computer is connected to the Denon via HDMI only.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do I connect the satellite box and the computer directly to the TV via HDMI. Connect the TV to the Denon via HDMI,
Then connect the opticals from the satellite box and the TV to the Denon input optical
Connect a splitter between the TV optical output and the Denon optical input and connect the optical input from the headphones to the other splitter connection?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Well you can leave things split, with hdmi from satellite to tv, and optical from satellite to denon, and then you could just go from the tv to the headphones and not need a splitter, if satellite is all you use.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've tried the option from zone 2 to headphones via analog cable. Zone 2 is allocated to headphones and I've switched zone 2 to On. Still can't get any sound from phones.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can get sound from the front headphone jack however this eliminates anyone else listening while it's engaged.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.
that is one of the considerations I mentioned earlier.
Z2 will work only when you are also Inputting analog signals to the receiver. You can't input hdmi or optical and get analog out.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ohh now I understand. I am advised that there is no such thing as an optical splitter. There is a switching device I can get but only offers analog out. I'll give your suggestion of using the TV as a primary source and leaving things split and using the direct access from TV to phones with optical. Thanks for your assistance to date.
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

That is not true. There are many different optical splitters available: http://amzn.to/2tXJP9o

But it is only needed if you go the other route, splitting the connections between the denon and tv keeps both free. The only downside there is that you then have to change input modes on both the tv and the denon every time you go from cable/satellite to dvd, etc.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/2rRmuH2 and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Nathan, I'm very happy with the advice received to date and I would be happy to give you a 5 Star rating. What I'm not at all happy about is the initial indication of a $5 fee for this assistance has now become an additional $56 for a total of $61.00
Had it been made clear the fee would be more than $5 I could have made a decision at that stage to continue or call in at my local store for assistance. The charge is excessive and I fully understand why the fee is not disclosed. Why would one have a $5 deposit when that amount offers no advice whatever. I will be claiming a refund from Visa and requesting them to investigate wether the site is acting deceptively. I understand that this may not be relevant to your position however I forward this for your information. Regards Ted