Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I HAVE A BOSE PS28SPEAKER SYSTEM IT WAS WORKING FINE AND NOW

Customer Question
HI I HAVE A BOSE...
HI I HAVE A BOSE PS28SPEAKER SYSTEM IT WAS WORKING FINE AND NOW I TURNED IT ON AND NO SPEAKERS WORK CAN YOU HELP,
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: BOSE PS28 III SPEAKER SYSTEM IT'S ABOUT 8YRS OLD
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: HAPPENED ABOUT 1 MONTH AGO AND NOW IT WILL NOT WORK AT ALL I HAVENT TRYED ANYTHING YET
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
6/17/2017
Technician: Jonathan Stocks,
 replied 5 months ago
Jonathan Stocks

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with this issue. I would like to get some more information from you. Does the screen display any errors? Also, have you tried unplugging the power, waiting 5 minutes, and plugging it back in? Let me know. Thanks!

I've had it unplugged and the screen on the receiver showed that it is playing but there is no sound or volume, the main speaker system is not warm like it used to be
Technician: Jonathan Stocks,
 replied 5 months ago

I want to verify that all the connections are secure in the back of the unit. It might be a good idea to unplug the speaker connections, etc. and plug them back in.

Technician: Jonathan Stocks,
 replied 5 months ago

You might just have a loose connection.

I've unplugged everything and reconnect it all still nothing but it shows that it is playing
I'm going to cancel my credit card with you I'm very disappointed !!! I sent a text at 9:00 am
Technician: Jonathan Stocks,
 replied 5 months ago

Sorry for the delay. I have a full time job and only work for Just Answer in the evenings. My apologies.

Let's make sure the power switch of the Acoustimass is set to ON. And if it is make sure the green light is illuminated.

If that is correct then we can try doing a factory reset.

1. Turn the system off.
  2. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the console.
  3. On the front of the console, press and hold the Source and the Volume - buttons.
  4. While holding both the buttons in, reconnect the power cord.
All there is, is a sub woffer box? That all the speaker wire connect to there is no on switch on that and the black box that connects to that is warm like it is on I tried the reset on the receiver and nothing yet, could it be the woffer box ?
Technician: Jonathan Stocks,
 replied 5 months ago

I am leaning towards the woofer box. Is there a power cord plugged into it from an outlet?

A power cord then a black box about 3" x 3" x 6" long and that is slightly warm that connects into the woffer box that is not warm at all , is there anyway to check the woffer box? I opened it up from the back and did not see anything burn or no smell
Technician: Jonathan Stocks,
 replied 5 months ago

The woofer box should have a 2 prong power cord that plugs into it. The power cord that you are describing sounds like the one for the main unit. So just to confirm on the woofer box....the speakers are plugged into it? There is a cord going from the main unit to the woofer box? And there is a 2 prong power cord going from an outlet to the woofer box? Is all this correct?

your right the small black box does go to the receiver , all there is is a 2 prong cord that plugs into the woffer box
Technician: Jonathan Stocks,
 replied 5 months ago

Gotcha. Let's check one other connection. The wire that goes from the receiver to the woofer box should be plugged into the "Main" output not the "Bose Link" output. Can you verify this for me?

it's in the main not bose link speaker
Technician: Jonathan Stocks,
 replied 5 months ago

Ok. So I'm thinking that either the woofer box is broken or the receiver is not outputting any audio. We can do factory reset via the menu. Please follow the following instructions:

1)on the remote, press system. be sure the correct tv input is selected

2)press the right arrow to highlight the "media center" icon and press enter

3)press the down arrow to highlight "restore settings" and press enter

4)press the up arrow to highlight "yes" and press enter. the display asks: "have you been instructed to do this?"

5)press the left arrow to select "yes" and press enter

6)press exit to leave the menu

Still nothing
Is there any was to check the woffer box?
Technician: Jonathan Stocks,
 replied 5 months ago

Not really. You could try plugging your front speakers directly into the audio output (red and white) on the receiver. That would show that the receiver is working properly and there is an issue with the woofer box.

I have five speakers the center speaker is red and white I un plugged it from the back of the receiver that said cable satellite out and plugged it into audio out red and white no sound at all
Technician: Jonathan Stocks,
 replied 5 months ago

The speakers should be plugged into the woofer unit not the receiver. There is no cable satellite out on the receiver. Only an input. I want you to plug in the left and right front speakers that are currently plugged into the woofer unit and plug them into the audio out plugs of the receiver.

On the back of the Wolfer there's a brown and white blue green or yellow or purple for the left front right front and left rear left front there's a big wire black one media center that goes into the composite which is yellow on the other end the center speakers are red and white they go right into the receiver
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 5 months ago
Nathan, Engineer

.

.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty amplifier in the acoustimass module (subwoofer) or control board in the main unit, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2005 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This system is at nearly 3 times its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet, for both the main console and the acoustimass module (subwoofer)

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the main console, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; however repairs for these systems is simply not feasible. There are no parts available and the components are highly proprietary and not interchangeable. There are no factory service options, and labor alone will usually exceed the value of the system. Replacing the entire system at this point, with an updated model with current technology and a fresh warranty would be your best option.

I can help you with repair options, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Is there anyway to plug a speaker into the receiver to see if it's ok? I did send the receiver in 2 yes ago to Bose to get referbished

No there is not, that information that the prior tech sent was incorrect and not applicable to your model.

The speakers are powered directly by the subwoofer, and cannot be connected elsewhere.

The failure is most likely in the sub unit, those have much higher failure rates than the console. If you are still seeing the on screen display, the console is most likely fine.

Do you know if bose repairs them or do you also I see their online also but I would probably be getting somebody else's problem thank you so much for your time and have a great day

There are no local repair options.

Your options will be to send it in direct to Bose for factory service (1-***-***-****) though this can be slow (long turnaround time) and expensive (they generally offer you a partial trade in towards a refurb model rather than actually repairing).

Or, as an alternative to the factory service is to contact the guys at MyBoseRepair (http://www.myboserepair.com/ship_to_us.htm) who will generally be able to do a much quicker and cheaper repair service. They typically offer a flat rate repair.

Nathan, Engineer