Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

Bose Acoustimass 5 series 2. All speakers are working, but

hello,
Bose Acoustimass 5 series 2.
All speakers are working, but cubes level is a lot too high in respect to woofer.
Because the inside filters are only for cubes, I tried cubes directly on amplifier output via 2 capacitors (about 3 microfarads NP). Then levels and sound were nice.
Because all capacitors are ok in filters (values and ESR), please have you original values and schematic for this inside filters ?
Thanks,
Pierre

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, please click HERE for the schematic diagram with capacitor values.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I thank you very much for the schematic. Capacitor values are right and I need to test R1, L1 and PTC1 tomorrow. I don't understand how this notch filter is working, and why the satellite speaker level is so high ? What do you think about C1/C2 and R1 values ?
NB: This problem is not new, because in the beginning I remember that I was using an old Sony amplifier with bass adjustement always to maximum.
I thank you for your help.
Pierre
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Phone would be better, but unfortunately I cannot understand english via phone because my native language is french.

I understand.

A simple workaround (to increase volume) is to bypass both the DS3 nd DS6 as they are inline limiters.

The PTC are thermal protection.

It may also be considered / tried bypassing L1 and L2.

If the above information served your purpose and if you haven’t done so, please provide a positive rating at the top of your page.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Dear Louie,
My question was: how we can lower the volume of satellite speakers?
The volume of satellite speakers is already a lot too high, so I don't understand your answer:
It's worse in bypassing DS3/6 or L1/2.
And I think that L1/2 C3/6 notch filters are necessary for the Bose satellite speakers bandwith.
I thank you for your help.
Pierre

My apologies...

Try:

• disconnect C1 and C4;
  • or disconnect L1 and L2;
  • or combination.

Hi again,

Is further information needed with this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
DEAR Louie,
I am sorry for the delay because I was very busy with my work.
Disconnecting C1/4 or L1/2 has given very bad sounds.
In testing all components (L, C,and R) I have seen only one difference: R1/2 = 3.3 Ohms instead of 5.1 Ohms.
So the solution is replacing R1/2 with right value (5.1 ohms) or add resistor in serie with DS3/6 (about 3.3 to 5 Ohms).
So I thank you very much because you have help me a lot in sending at once the original value + schematic of the filter.
Pierre.