Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

We have a DTR-6.6/5.5 AV Receiver. When we turned it on the

Customer Question

We have a DTR-6.6/5.5 AV Receiver. When we turned it on the other day, for some reason, the TV sound would not come on. I have tried everything I can think of, including checking to see Zone 2 is off. The DVR player and CD player and Radio sound all are fine. Can you assist?
JA: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?
Customer: Integra/Onkyo about 8 years old?
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: A few days. Checked all the connections, tried different sound selections, tried many options on remote and on the device, no luck.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm reviewing your details and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

When you say "TV sound"- are you referring to sound when watching programs from the Cable Box- or something else? Please elaborate.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the sound from the cable box for the TV.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Thank you. Since all other devices have sound., then the solution generally is rebooting the cable box.

Shut everything off, and then pull the cable box power cord out of the back of the unit for 15 seconds and plug it back in. Give the box about 5 minutes to reboot and then turn the system back on. Once it's back up check that input setting and let me know if there is sound.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This has always worked fine, suddenly turned it on and didn't work.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Were you able to try those steps?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
completed but did not work, still no sound.
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Okay well since everything has sound but the cable box then it means the cable box is the issue. If you've already checked that all cabling from the box to TV and to receiver are fine- then call your cable provider and have them replace the box. You've already confirmed the issue is not with the Integra by testing all other devices and concluding there is sound with them- only not the cable box.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do you know it's not the Receiver?
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

How could it be the receiver is you've said it DOES produce sound with ALL other sources? Or did I mistake what you posted above?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Could it be some setting on the Receiver for the TV?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What !!! why are you not answering me?
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Is the cable box connected to the receiver directly or is it connected to the tv?