Rusty
Rusty, Engineer
Experience:  Let my expertise help solve your technical problems. Over 20 years electronics and sound equipment experience.
63817454

Have Denon avr791, worked perfectly. Suddenly one device, BD

Customer Question

Have Denon avr791, worked perfectly.
Suddenly one device, BD player, will not play through any HDMI input on the Denon, however when plugged directly into TV works fine.
All inputs on Denon works fine with any other device in any configuration with output to the Tv, only the BD player does not work in ANY input.Have another house with same setup and amplifier, works perfectly there.The Denon for some reason does not like the input from this device ONLY.Have done microprocessor reset with no change, still won't give a picture through the amp but works perfectly directly into the TV
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.

The demand on an HDMI cable can vary depending on resolution. Since a Blu-ray has higher resolution, switch out the HDMI cable for another high-speed HDMI cable, and tell me if you're able to get that to work.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Have tried 3 differeNt cables that work on other devices, does not solve the problem!
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.

Ok, it sounds like the higher resolution of the Blu-ray player isn't able to be processed by Denon anymore. Receivers are meant to do audio very well, but when it comes to video, that's where I see most of the problems arise.

You can either:

Lower the output resolution of the Blu-ray player (this will lower the image quality)

OR:

Connect it to your TV with HDMI, and connect the optical audio output to the Denon. That way your TV is in charge of the picture, and your amplifier is in charge of audio. This is a perfect scenario for Blu-ray.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Mate this BD player worked perfectly with this amplifierPlugged it into another Denon 791 and it works, just won't work on this Denon.Got another BD player( same model) it also just works on the one amplifier, it is as if the specific amplifier in any input blocks the signal from this device.Works directly to the TV but then a wire hangs from the wall, 105 inch TV mounted on the wall.All local blokes are also perplexed by this, could not ask Denon if they have any advice?
Expert:  Rusty replied 8 months ago.

Yep, and that's precisely why I said it won't work "anymore". These receivers are meant to do audio, they're not built like a TV to handle and process video. You have done the microprocessor reset, and if that didn't fix it, you're like the hundreds of customers I've helped with the exact same problem. Blu-ray kills the higher resolution in some receivers. That's just what happens. Plug it into your TV, and use the optical cable for the audio. That way the TV is working on the video, while the receiver works on the audio. That's a perfect match.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Bought another BD player , different model , and it works, has nothing to do with resolution, the HDMI input does not work with that source.PVR, media server, Gica, satellite all works perfectly through the amp, it is what is was built to do.Plugging directly into the TV defeats the object of having a theatre system controllable with a single remoteThanks anyway