Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

When I turn change channels on Dircect TV, or turn off the

Customer Question

Hi, When I turn change channels on Dircect TV, or turn off the Direct TV, there is a very loud squelching sound through the BOSE speakers. If I then turn off the BOSE system the sound still continues for about 12 seconds. The only way to not have this sound when turning off the TV is to turn off the BOSE first. I have tried checking wires but I can't figure out what is going on. Is this something you can help me with>
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: SONY model #XRB-55X850B, and it's probably 3 years old
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have only tried unplugging all the wires to make sure nothing was loose.
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: If I change input the sound also goes away
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 8 months ago.

By far the most common cause of this problem, is a glitch in the cable box processing.

Please follow the steps below:

1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box AND the TV from power (unplug their power cords).

2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).

3) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 full seconds while the set is unplugged, then release the power button.

4) Plug the cable box AND the TV back into power, then turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

This should restore the sound. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as a DVD player on the TV and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the TV, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.