Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Pioneer vsx 522k will not turn on... no standby light...

Customer Question

Pioneer vsx 522k will not turn on... no standby light... think something fried... smells hot
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: It's a receiver pioneer vsx 522 k just today
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I was moving it so I unplugged all the wires
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Do you hear any clicking sounds at all?

If you press the ENTER button and hold that while pressing power, does it do anything?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No... no lights nothing
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can't call
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for checking,

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This unit is past its service life at this point.

There is one further step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; however repairs are typically not feasible. You'd be in about the $500 range for repairs, while you could buy a brand new and updated model with a fresh warranty for less.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.