Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I have a SONY Receiver model STR-DE945. It recently

Customer Question

I have a SONY Receiver model STR-DE945. It recently developed an intermittent sound problem with both TV & DVD player. Both are connected with optical cable. It's been a great receiver and hope there is a simple fix for this. (dust?)
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?
Customer: Th e TV is VIZIO E601i-A3 purchased in 2013.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It's been going on for a couple of months. I first bought a new optical cable. Then I tried switching the optical inputs on the receiver. None of that helped. I recently noticed that I don't seem to have the problem when I use the Small Stage sound field. I had been using the a couple of the surround options for sound field.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can't think of anything else.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, have you tried a RESET of the SoundFields?

Expert:  Louie replied 7 months ago.

Consider a RESET of the soundfields. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you venture to try: Please click HERE.

May have to be done a number of times.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose/cause other issues.