Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Field. Master Certified Electronics Tech and Technical Consultant
23511658

I own a denon dp-47f turntable and when using the auto

Customer Question

i own a denon dp-47f turntable and when using the auto controls the arm does not move to position. the same happens when using the locate buttons. when manually moving the arm it works fine and the arm returns to position when the record is finished playing. any thoughts.
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: denon DE-47F turntable purchased in 1986. was in storage for 10 years.
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: try cleaning the strobe and rebalanced the arm
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is Michael. I can help you with your question.

I'm sure you were careful in calibrating/balancing the arm movement, but I would just check that again. It really is the thing that will cause this to happen. Make sure everything that plays a part in that isn't slipping... maybe not getting the arm far enough over or something like that. If you've got all that working, we can see if there are some parts that need to be replaced.

Miike

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Mike,Thanks I played with balancing the tone arm and according to Denons owners manual the arm should balance parallel with the record before I set he skating. By balancing on the heavier side all auto functions work properly. I kept on moving the weight until this occurred let me know if this is fine. I do not want to damage the stylus

Yes, that is OK to do. In fact, that's what I would recommend. You won't do any damage to the stylus.