Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I can't get the center channel to work. its an onkyo

Customer Question

I can't get the center channel to work. its an onkyo ht-r500
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: onkyo ht-r500
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I ran a test, I am able to get the other channels to work, last night. and I was able to get a faint signal through the center channel. now attemting again today, I am not even getting a small signal through the center channel
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I connected the speaker to other ports, it works. I have connected the wire to other speakers they work. so I am deducing that either the connection to the amp is damaged or components inside that deliver sound to the center speaker are damaged.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Hi and welcome to the site, I’m Louie. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, have you considered / tried a RESET of the Onkyo HT-R500 ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I haven't don't know how.
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Consider a RESET. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you venture to try: Please click HERE.

May have to be done a number of times.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of an internal hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose/cause other issues.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
did the reset, still no center channel
Expert:  Louie replied 9 months ago.

Then it would be an internal hardware issue.

Are you then considering a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair approach? If yes, do you have access to and familiar with a multi-meter and even a soldering iron?