Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Pioneer VSX-1019AH will not power on. It was displaying amp

Customer Question

Pioneer VSX-1019AH will not power on. It was displaying amp overheat but has been off for a while and has no speakers connected. Now it will not display anything and the standby/on button is flashing blue.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

The overheat can be an internal failure, but can be environmental as well.

Initially if it is in an enclosed cabinet or stacked with other components, separate it out and give it plenty of room for airflow. Next blow it out as best you can with compressed air and vacuum off the vent holes around the top and sides.

Let me know if that helps or if the flashing continues.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nathan, the flashing continues after doing what you suggest. Is there a sensor on the heat sink that could have gone bad? I was an electronic technician for a jukebox manufacturer and we had thermistors on the heat sinks of the amps that can go bad.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Is the overheat message showing, or just the flashing now?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When you power the unit up it shows briefly then goes away. But the blue flashing continues.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for confirming, that isn't really overheating, it is just sensing an overload on the amp, which is what the flashing is for, a protection circuit engaging because there is a short in the output stage of the amp somewhere, or possibly a faulty on the control board.

Either will require repairs, since you were a tech you may be comfortable working on it, and you can open it up and look for a bad transistor or burn marks in the amp output. Typically though this is not considered a repair worthy investment, for a 2009 model it is already past its service life and if you were to take it to a repair shop, you'd pay as much to fix it as you would to replace it with a new model with updated features and a fresh warranty. Getting boards and parts to repair yourself even is typically not cost effective.

I can try to help with repair or replacement recommendations though, if you'd like.

Best regards,

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.