Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I've got my IPod in place, there's power, the volume on the

Customer Question
I've got my IPod in...
I've got my IPod in place, there's power, the volume on the IPod is on high, but I can't get any sound. I've tried pressing the + button, but nothing.
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: We bought it in 2006 I'd say. Just a minute, I'll get the make/model
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Last time I used it, it worked but we packed it and moved to a new location. I'm looking at the bottom of the unit. I can see the Ser. No. but where's the make/model number?
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: When it worked, it worked with my old IPod. I purchased an updated IPod two years ago with an adapter, but it has never worked with the Bose.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
11/22/2016
Technician: Richard, Customer Service replied 1 year ago
Richard, Customer Service

Hi there and welcome

You are trying to get sound via the Bose unit?

Or via headphones?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The unit. No headphones.

thanks

The payment failed for the phone call so we need to continue here

Whats the make and model of the Bose unit and the mode of the iPod?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm looking at the bottom of the sound dock. It has a Ser. No. but I cannot find the make/model number. My IPod is an old 32-pin click wheel type. Both of these were purchased about 10 years ago.

ok, the reason is the adapters are only for power, not for data so I am sure this is the reason, I just wanted to confirm it.

But it will be this that the Bose only works with the older ones, the older Boses have this issue, they do not work with the newer models.

But your Bose model, does it have an Line in port?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has a power cord. Don't understand what you mean by Line in port.

a port on the Bose where you can plug in an external device to play sound through it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No.

ok, then your only option here is to use an older iPod, if this model had a line in port we could have used the headphone jack to do this but as it does not then you would need to source an older iPod with the 32 pin connection.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am using an older IPod, 32 pin. The volume on the IPod is at high, tried pushing the + button on the Bose, but no sound.

yes, but you are using the adapter correct as you said before, as new iPods do not have this connection

The adapter is only for power, not for data transfer

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm sorry, there's a misunderstanding. I am having two issues: 1) My old iPod, without an adapter, I'm not getting any sound. 2) My newer iPod, with an adapter, is not getting any sound. I understand the issue, now, that the adapter is for power, not for data so won't work on my older Bose.

ok, so lets only focus on old iPod

If you connect headphones to the old iPod, do you hear music?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I never listen to the Bose with headphones. I don't even have any. The connection for headphones is on the bottom of my iPod which would be inaccessible when it's plugged into the sound dock.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My old iPod does work, I use it in my car all the time.

ok, the answers it then

Now remove the power to the bose (so unplug it from the power plug)

Wait 10 minutes, connect it again and tell me if it now works please.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've had the Bose unplugged for our entire conversation, I think it's been ten minutes. I plugged it back in. It has no sound.

Thanks, ***** ***** iPod does work then the only cause left is the port on the Bose. Do you see any damage or corrosion on the port?

Rub an eraser over the copper ends and see if it allows it then to communicate with the old iPod

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, that did not work.

Thanks, ***** ***** know the iPod is working then It is the docking plug or mainboard that has faulted.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to have the unit replaced. There are only a small amount of parts that can malfunction on this and it will be one of these two

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your help. I, too, had come to the conclusion that it was more serious than I had hoped. Thank you so much for your time.

you're most welcome

The new ipod confused it a little but Apple do not make it clear the adapter is only for power.

If you need anything else, please let me know

And please remember the service rating (via one of the stars at the top then submit)

Thank you

Richard, Customer Service