Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Think its simple.. Maybe a wrong button pressed.. Sony

Customer Question

Think its simple.. Maybe a wrong button pressed.. Sony Plasma Tv works, Time Warner Cable works No sound.. Nothing from FMSM , cable, Cd/DVD/ Stored music or TV.. Picture is great and able to change channels
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Sony Wega Plasma KDE42XBR950 and is working fine.. No sound from anything
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I'm 80 yrs old.. My son is trying.. Unplugged everything, the usual stuff thats in the manuel.. Made sure everything was plugged in..Someone was visiting and I think they hit the wrong buttons.. There are three remotes..
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Like for example?I think what I typed covers it.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok.. Waiting
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Can you tell me what you are using for the sound? You mentioned am/fm, so that wouldn't come from the tv, are you using a stereo system?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Its a Bose System.. Am/Fm Cd/DVD.. Tv is all hooked together with Time Warner.. TV is perfect and can change channels w/o problem.. No sound from ANYTHING..
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Okay which model bose is it?
Is the bose turned on? What are you seeing on the bose display screen?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
LIFESTYLE48.. Screen says what its suppose to say...
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Waiting for your response
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you answering or are we disconnected?
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

My apologies for the delay. The site is not quite instant, but please try to send only a single response and allow me time to receive it and respond back; multiple messages can get lost in the queue and further delayed.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok.. waiting for your response
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Can you please check that the cords to the "acoustimass" (subwoofer) module are all connected (power cord and link to the main AV unit)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
DONE!All cords , everything plugged in and in place.. Just remembered this happened before.. We thought then it was vibration but don't recall how it was remedied..
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

So did that resolve it?

A loose cord/connection is really the only reason this would happen, other than an internal hardware fault, if it happens on all inputs.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think it was a lose cord before on the subwoofer..We have checked everything.. Like I said.. Tv picture is great.. Bose screen reads perfect..
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What do you suggest I still have no sound
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for checking,

that does indicate a hardware defect within the bose unit, any button pressing by guests is likely just coincidental.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2005 model that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this system is significantly past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; however bose sytems are generally not considered repairable and the cost of repairs will usually be as much or more than a new system.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
give me your number.. i will attempt all that you suggested.. if that fails i will call you.. THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.. you made it painless..
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

We aren't permitted to call outside of the chat here, but you can keep this page open or reply back to me here anytime, if you need more help.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will take your advice.. WE unplugged but I will have to wait until tomorrow to try to replug.. Hope thats ok? I will then follow the rest of your instructions.. Where do I rate you????Thank you again Nathan.. I will keep the page open and contact you one way or another tomorrow.. Thank you again ...
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

Yes that would be just fine, take as long as you need and I'll be here if you need more help.

Rating is the stars at the top of the page. If you don't see it you can also post back here (eg: "Nathan was ok/good/excellent/etc").

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I found it.. Thanks again..You are definitely 5 stars..
Expert:  Nathan replied 9 months ago.

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you!