Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

My Bose radio and cd player was working fine yesterday, but

Customer Question

my Bose radio and cd player was working fine yesterday, but now my cd player is
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: it is about 15 yrs old.
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I took the cd out of the player and replaced it and the disc will turn .
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not have my serial # handy at this time, but if necessary I will find it
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 8 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.