Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

We have a DRA-697C1 AM-FM stereo receiver. I am not able to

Customer Question

We have a DRA-697C1 AM-FM stereo receiver. I am not able to get th radio....no sound even when the station is "listed". I'm totally non=tech as you have already guessed. I feel its something simple, like its not getting the signal or something. Any suggestions. Any repair people for such a receiver?
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: I thought DRA-697C1 was the model #. No? It is at least 30 years old.
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I haven't even tried to use the radio for years...so no clues there. It is used to power a Denon CD player, which it does very well....( in other words it IS plugged in!!!
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: there is no mention of cost...????
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems.

You were talking to a computer before, so sorry about the strange questions you were asked.

Now that said, do you have an FM antenna connected to the back of the Denon?

Also if you switch to AM and crank the volume, is there any static, buzz, etc. - anything at all please?

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Also, just to make sure here - you're trying to tune an FM station, not XM/Sirius or HD radio correct?

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

I'm unsure why you're unable to reply, but if trying to use the FM tuner, please observe that the basics are covered:

1) Coaxial cable plugged into the Coax FM antenna jack, or straight piece of wire connected to the 75 ohm plug on the back of the receiver.

2) Using the Source dial, FM is selected and the station pulled up is in Stereo (otherwise the receiver will MUTE the signal).

If those have been checked AND it is indeed the FM SOURCE your'e referring to (and not XM or HD radio) the we would want to next try a reset of the microprocessor.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

To reset the processor (which does JUST that and can cure issues like this) shut the receiver Off. Then press and hold the "SPEAKER A" and "SPEAKER B" buttons on the front of the unit together, while pressing power once. "Please Wait" should then be displayed on the front of the receiver which indicates that the processor has been reset.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

If you're STILL having the same problem once those things have been checked (steps completed) then this would point to a hardware fault that's occurred within the tuner, and this is something that can happen with no outside catalyst involved. In that case you're generally looking at between a $150-$200 repair for this issue, which may not be cost effective on a 30 year old receiver that can be replaced for almost the same cost. However if you would like to locate a shop you can use the link below to find one in your area:

http://www.stereorepair.com

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Alternatively, if you'd rather seek a replacement in lieu of repairing this one, I would suggest the unit at the link below as being a comparable receiver:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_033AVS510B/Denon-AVR-S510BT.html?tp=179

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was afraid I would not be able to uutilize this service. I need an expert to "fix" it. I am not knowledgeable enough to follow your directions. I agree that something is simply not communicating but I don't know what to do about it. Thx for your help. I need a "house call"!!!!! Thx again. Now how do I unsubscribe. Not because you didn't do your part...but because I can't do mine!!
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

I am not available by phone. Please read THE REST of what I've posted as I actually even gave you a link to locate a service person as well as a link to a replacement receiver. As far as subscriptions, etc.- I am not privy to any of that as I'm an independent tech not a site employee. You would contact customer service via the home page for that.

That said, could you please click a POSITIVE RATING for my efforts, as that is how I am credited with working with you today?

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with the Denon issue?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. Just cancel please and i do NOT want a monthly service. Can this be my cancellation or do I have to do it separately.
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

I'll state this again: I'm not privy in any way to billing, accounts, site layout, etc.- I'm an independent tech, not a site employee. You would need to direct those questions to customer service via the home page. You can direct billing questions here: http://*****@******.***

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

If you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What do you mean by that??
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

Which part are you confused about please?

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

I mean I cannot cancel anything as I'm a contractor - I'm not an employee of the website.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

So you would need to tackle that end yourself from that link I posted for you.

That said, if you received the information you were looking for regarding your Denon - could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thx. Yes I will give you a good rating. And thank you for responding.
Expert:  Aric replied 9 months ago.

You're welcome and thank you for the rating. If you're unable to find the stars at the top of the page let me know.