Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

Sure. I have a Sony STR DN1040 amp/receiver connected to a

Sure. I have a Sony STR DN1040 amp/receiver connected to a Sony Bravia Tv. I can get sound from other sources such as blue ray Player etc but no sound via the amp when watching the cable channels
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?
Customer: Arc port to arc port. The tv model is Sony Bravia Model No' KDL 50R550A
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Tried rca cables, different hdmi cables. Tv is connected to wireless and software updated. The amp is connected via Ethernet cable to the internet but as the tv won't read the amp I can't control the amp to update it's software
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No Thanks

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

You mentioned cable channels, is there a cable box though, or just basic cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basic. Antenna plugged into the wall. Free to air tv

If you press the bravia button (or braiva sync) button on the tv remote, do you see an option then in the bravia section of the menu and there is where youll set the output to external/theater (instead of tv speakers).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sound is coming through the tv speakers. When I switch to external the sound cuts out. I have tried both fixed and variable options.
When I search for other Bravia devices, the screen says no other devices found.

the fixed/variable is an analog setting and not applicable here.
Do you have access to an optical (toslink) cable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

Switching to the optical connection is your best option here,

that output should always work, regardless of settings. There is clearly something wrong here, which is hardware related, if the hdmi connection isn't properly detected. Updating the firmware on both tv and receiver are really the only steps you can take to address that, with the optical then being the workaround connection if that doesn't help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Cool. Thanks.

You're very welcome.

It is a simple plug and play connection, you just plug in on both ends, set the receiver to the optical input mode (it should detect automatically, if you unplug the hdmi).

You can get a cord at any electronics shop locally, or online: http://amzn.to/2ehNaZG

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Yes the optical cord worked as a fix. I ended up discovering that using the amp menu button that I could scroll a menu on the amp itself with no need for the tv to be attached. Within this menu was an option to turn on HDMI control. Once that was on the tv and amp were connecting but Bravia Sync still didn't work. I was able to then access the network update option and updated the software on the amp.
It worked perfectly until I turned it off and on again, then the same issue came up. The optical cord is working for the moment but the sound through the front speakers was a bit strange. The centre speaker seems to handling all the sound. I found out how to do a factory reset. Maybe that will fix the sync issue. But it's working at least. Thanks for the help.

That is odd, hdmi control should be on by default (which is why I didn't mention it).

The reset would still be a good idea though. For the sound issue, you may want to try a different surround/listening mode, such as "movie" for example.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,