Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I have a bose soundlink 2 speaker. it drops audio

Customer Question
intermittently and drives me crazy. JA...
i have a bose soundlink 2 speaker. it drops audio intermittently and drives me crazy.
JA: What's the make/model number of your stereo? How old is it?
Customer: it is a sound link 2 bluetooth speaker. i bought it a few months ago at an apple store
JA: What happened right before this popped up? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: It has happened since I bought the speaker. i disabled another bluetooth device. turned off mail. checked on other ask it sites. tried resetting it but am not sue what button to hold down.
JA: Anything else you want the theater expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
9/24/2016
Technician: GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech replied 1 year ago
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech

Hi there. my name is*****'m sorry that you're having this problem. I will do my best to help you. May I ask what brand and model of device you have paired with your Soundlink? Also, what service are you using to stream? For example, are you using Pandora, Spotify, or Sirius XM to stream, or are you using iTunes or Windows Media Player? I ask because I use Sirius XM and they are known for cutting out after a certian length of time if you haven't changed the station or been "active" in some way, for instance by changing the station or turning the volume up or down.

If you'd like to try resetting the speaker here's how you can do it.

1. Power on the speaker.
  2. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

Sometimes it takes more than one try to get it to reset. With the speaker on, please press the power button and hold it down for a full 30 seconds this time, or until you hear it beep and see the lights flash.

Since you mentioned that you bought it from an Apple store, I'm guessing that you are streaming from an Apple device. If so, the following troubleshooting steps may help:

Intermittent audio or connection from AirPlay® connected device

• Check to see if the issue is with streaming content on the iOS device

• Intermittent audio may be caused by buffering hiccups or pauses in the audio stream, not from connection issues with the Bose® speaker. Try restarting the application or sending audio from the iOS device’s internal audio player using AirPlay® to see if dropouts still occur.

• Be sure the SoundLink® Air is within range of the connected wireless router

• A successful connection will be indicated by a solid blue Wi-Fi indicator on the front of SoundLink® Air system.

• Be sure the iOS device or computer is within range of the connected wireless router

• The distance between the source device and SoundLink® Air system does not affect AirPlay® performance. The signal is always sent through the wireless router.

• Try moving the SoundLink® Air system closer to the wireless router

• Try moving the SoundLink® Air system

• Move the speaker to the left or right, rotate the speaker to one side or the other or move the system a few feet to a new location

• Try moving the system closer to the wireless router

• The area the SoundLink® Air is located in may not have a strong enough signal from the wireless router. Moving the system closer to the router should increase the strength of the Wi-Fi signal and improve connectivity. Leave about 6 ft or more between them.

• Check for sources of wireless interference

• The system may be picking up outside interference. To determine if sources of interference are causing the problem, follow these steps:

Check to see if the SoundLink® Air system is a few feet from other electronic or electrical devices—such as cordless phones, televisions, microwaves, radio frequency remotes or similar wireless or Bluetooth® devices.

Unplug any of these nearby devices to eliminate them as possible sources of interference.

Relocate the Bose system away from the source of interference. This may require at least six feet of distance between the two devices. If this solves the problem, keep the Bose system as far away from the other devices and their power cords as possible

• Check to see if there are other devices using bandwidth on the same wireless network

• These devices can include Internet-connected TVs, laptops, game consoles or tablet computers. If other devices connected to the same network are streaming multimedia content, utilizing VOiP or transferring large amounts of data at the same time, this may decrease network bandwidth and cause this symptom.

• Determine if the issue presents itself when using more than 3 to 6 AirPlay® devices at the same time

• “The maximum number of outputs are three to six in typical conditions. The number that works for you will depend on your environmental conditions (such as building composition and local radio interference), distance to the outputs, and available network capacity relative to your other usage.” – Apple.com

• See if the wireless router is known to have issues with AirPlay® enabled devices

• A Google search may help with finding other users who have had streaming issues with AirPlay® when using a particular wireless router.

• Check the router settings to see if WMM has been enabled

• Some routers that experience heavy traffic may need to have WMM (Wi-Fi multi-media) enabled to optimize audio streaming performance. If a router has an option to modify WMM, we suggest you enable it. WMM prioritizes multi-media traffic accordingly, and is recommended if audio-related issues are reported. WMM may default to “enabled” for many newer routers.

• Verify that your router is using current firmware

• In some cases, upgrading router firmware can improve performance issues. Most routers are designed to support a firmware upgrade process. This allows the manufacturer to provide enhancements to routers already sold. Manufacturers generally provide firmware upgrades as free downloads from their Web site. We recommend contacting your service provider or router manufacturer for information on available updates.

• Check the wireless router settings to see what channel it is on

• If you're on a common channel that's being used in the area, consider moving to another channel. If other Wireless Access Points are in nearby locations and on the same channel, that could increase traffic and cause bandwidth issues. Access your router’s settings to choose the broadcast channel.

• Check to see if Bluetooth is enabled on the source device or any other nearby device

• Wireless interference can occur if Bluetooth is on, even if it's not “connected” to another device, Access the settings menu of the source device or any other nearby Bluetooth enabled device. Turn Bluetooth off to see if it improves AirPlay® performance.

• Check to see if iCloud® is set to sync on your iOS device when connected to wireless

• You may experience audio dropouts while syncing to iCloud.

Please give this a try and let me know how it works for you. If this solves the problem, would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. I'd really appreciate it! Without a positive rating I am not credited for my answer. If this doesn't solve the problem be sure to let me know so we can continue troubleshooting.

GeekGal
GeekGal
GeekGal, Electronics Support Tech