Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

We came back from our vacation and our house sitting must

Customer Question
have changed some setting...
we came back from our vacation and our house sitting must have changed some setting . We are gettn=ing no sound
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: since we turned the unit on after we got back everything worked perfectly before then
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: Its a vizio and there has never been a problem
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Checked the input settings and changed the audio to auto
JA: The theater expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/14/2016
Technician: Nathan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Nathan, Engineer

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today.

Sorry to hear that you’re having trouble with this but I’ll do my best to help you out.

Do you get your sound through the vizio tv speakers? Or do you have a surround sound system or soundbar?

What is the model of the tv?
Does this happen on all sources/inputs?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The sound for the TV comes from the HDMI output from the cable box.This is happens on all sources/inputs

Okay, other than mute, there is no setting that would readily cause this.

First, please unplug power to the cable box for 60+ seconds to reboot it.
If no change, I need to have you please specifically test another device on this tv (dvd, game, apps, etc) and let me know if you get any sound there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I downloaded the manual and verified the audio select is in autoI also had to change the input so that the TV saw the HDMI signal.I am resetiting the cable box nowA

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its going to take about 4 more minutes to reset

No problem, take your time. It can be a slow process to boot back up.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just rebooted. Still no sound

Okay can you test something else on the vizio other than the cable box?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just loaded the DVD player....picture works still no sound
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you still there?

Yes I'm here, your message just came through, thanks.

Can you give me the model number of the tv?
Was dvd on hdmi also?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The DVD is through an analog input

Has it worked previously, on that same connections (no wiring has been changed)?

Tv model?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Why do you need the model number of the TV. There are no audio outputs from the TV
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There have been no changes in wiring. My guess is the house sitting couldn't get the system to work and messed with the AV Reciever

I asked you from the very beginning how you got your sound, and this is the first I'm hearing of an AV receiver.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you still there?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I mean't to say house sitter

Yes, I am here, and I am trying to help you.

To do so, I need complete and accurate details.

Our entire conversation up to this point is now irrelevant if you have an av receiver.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I provided that information when I first submitted the question. I included the model number of the AV receiver as well. Did you not get this information

No, there is no model information anywhere here.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's a Yamaha RX-V2700 Have you worked with this device before?

Yes, I have, but we've been approaching this entire question not knowing that was in the mix.

Please tell me exactly what you see on the yamaha display screen right now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The top bar shows a red Arrow next to DVD and then Stereo 7 Channel

What do you see when you switch it back to cable?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
DVT
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Same Stereo & Channel. I have tried changing all of the inputs without sucess

If you switch over to the radio (fm tuner) do you get any sound there?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The volume bar does change though

Do you have an antenna connected and are tuned to a station that you have been able to receive before? If not, the test doesn't really tell us anything as you'd only get silence otherwise
Do you see anything on the yamaha display that looks like a pair of headphones?

Okay, are there any headphones plugged into the front currently?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's the older headphone connector though and I don't have an adapter

If you are seeing that icon, the amp is in headphone mode. Perhaps your sitter was using headphones with it;

the system is stuck in that mode, which shuts down all the other speakers.

There is a microswitch inside the headphone port that can get stuck, causing this.

Try taking a qtip and poking it in there repeatedly, to try to get that switch loose.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was a able to use my iphone headphone connect was able to hit the microswitch several times. When it clicked the head phone light displayed on the screen. I cycled it on and off several times. I can hear the switch click

Were you able to get it released? When it is "off" then the main speakers will come back on and your sound should return.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The switch worked as it was supposed to and the sound has not returned. The headphone light was not on when we started this session. I don't believe the switch was ever stuck and I don't believe this port has ever been used

I asked if you were seeing the headphone icon on the display, and you indicated you did. That is why we were discussing this possibility.

I'm sorry, but I will need to opt out at this point as we are now an hour into this and not getting anywhere productive.

If you'd like to switch to the phone that may be a more efficient means of communication, otherwise I'll exit our session now and perhaps another tech would be willing to assist.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When you said Headphone display I thought you mean't the headphone connection. You are right, I thin your opting out is best. I have already been bait and switched for the cost and now you want to charge more. I am done

I'm simply trying to help Rob, and I apologize if there has been any misunderstanding on my end, but I've asked for several details that I either didn't receive or were incorrect, which makes it difficult for me to give you proper direction. I'm not trying to get more out of you, this is simply not productive for either of us if I don't have the necessary information to work with.

Louie, Technician