Aric, Engineer
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a pioneer VSX 820K receiver. Trying to hook up

Customer Question

I have a pioneer VSX 820K receiver. Trying to hook up surround sound with a Directv dvr receiver and a 55 inch flat screen Samsung. Tried Using the analog connections from the tv outputs to the audio inputs on the receiver, no luck. No sound. Then tried using the optical output on the Directv satellite receiver to the input optical port on the pioneer receiver no sound. Tried using the FM tuner no sound. Hooked my I Phone to the receiver and got sound. What do you suggest do I can get surround sound from my TV.
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and sorry you're having problems. In order to assist you, I need to ask for more info:

1) What is the model number off the back of the Samsung?

2) Is the sound currently coming from the TV speakers?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Also as a quick test, plug the optical from the cable box to the optical 1 (CD/Tape) port on the Pioneer. Select "CD/Tape" on the Pioneer. Raise the volume and let me know if there is any sound.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
UN55FH6003. Yes I get sound from tv.TV hooked with HDMI cable from Directv receiver
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, if there is sound from the TV then you need to run the optical cable from the TV to the Pioneer, then go into the MENU on the TV, and under Sound/Audio shut off the TV's internal speakers. Then plug the other end of the optical from the TV to the optical 1 (CD/Tape) port on the Pioneer. Select "CD/Tape" on the Pioneer. Raise the volume and let me know if there is any sound.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have an optical port on my tv
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay. Then plug the optical into the cable box again, and follow the rest of the instructions please.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Plug the optical from the cable box to the optical 1 (CD/Tape) port on the Pioneer. Select "CD/Tape" on the Pioneer. Raise the volume and let me know if there is any sound.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to get any sound using that last method?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Couldn't find the settings to turn off my tv speakers. Got optical cable hooked up as you told me to
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, no need to worry about the TV speaker settings. Is the optical cable going from the cable box to the Opt 1 port specifically on the Pioneer? Have you changed the source on the Pioneer to CD/Tape as indicated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I'll try that
Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Okay, thanks. Let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 year ago.

Are you able to get any sound?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Receiver-setup-comp in? Is that the path?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed to cd still no sound
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Problem fixed sound is working
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CD-R