Home Theater-Stereo

Home Theater Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Home Theater-Stereo

I have a Kenwood VR-307 A/V surround receiver. I have a turn

Customer Question
table and tape player which...
I have a Kenwood VR-307 A/V surround receiver. I have a turn table and tape player which work fine. However, Sony CD players (I have two) which worked fine before I moved the system will not produce any sound. I know the connections are correct, they are simple enough, any idea why I can't get any sound out of either CD player?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Home Theater-Stereo
7/25/2016
Technician: Rusty, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Rusty
Rusty, Engineer

Hello, my name is Rusty. Is it plugged into the CD input? Try another input, and tell me if you can get any sound. You can plug into anything other than phono.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Give me a few minutes to switch input sources and I'll let uKnow the results.

I'm standing by.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Tried all the video jacks, the tape deck jacks, nothing produces any sound.

Try the one that says MD TAPE PLAY IN. If that one doesn't work, you may have two bad CD players.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I set up the system at the other house everything worked fine, but I'll try what you suggested. give me a minute
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no luck, as a matter of fact I had already tried those jacks. Do you really think both CD players would go bad at the same time ? They were well packed and I''m sure the carton was not dropped. The phono andd tape decks work fine

Are you certain the CD is playing when you test them? Disconnect the jacks from the CD player, and touch the ends. Do you hear a buzz from the speakers?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
IF I buy a new CD player and it still does not produce sound, what do we do then?"
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could the CD jack on the Kenwood have gone bad?

I'll tell you what, let's give it another test before I send you off to buy a new player. I'm skeptical since both aren't working. Plug one into where your tape player is plugged in now. Does that produce sound?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that worked. But won't I have to switch the cables back and forth depending on which device I want to use, CD or Tape?

Ok, well we found the problem. Certain inputs on your receiver have gone out. There is a simple solution that you can use to continue using all of your gear, without having to switch the wiring each time. Click here. You'll need two of these. Connect one to the white and one to the red of where your tape deck is connected. Connect the white from your CD and Tape to the one that is plugged into the white, and do the same for the red. This will combine the signal, and you'll get more use out of your receiver. These are called RCA male to dual female, and you can get them at any electronics store.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are u still there?

Yes, I am here. Did you get my response? Give me just a minute, I found something on that receiver that may be blocking the signal. We may not need those parts.

Plug your CD player into the CD input. Switch to the CD input. Now press the input mode button on the front of the receiver a few times, does that bring the sound back? It may have been switched to the digital input by mistake.

Rusty
Rusty
Rusty, Engineer