Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer. Authorized dealer top brands
59725966

I have a Yamaha natural sound AV receiver rx-v737 past 2

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha natural sound AV receiver rx-v737 for the past 2 years and I just turned it on and the sound just stopped and then the system stopped working all together. I've unplugged it, replugged in, tried to turn it back on and won't turn on at all. Any suggestions?
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Do you see anything on the display, or hear any clicking sounds?
Does it try to turn on, but flashes and turns right back off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
None of the above.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

So no signs of life at all then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No signs of life. Plugged into another outlet. It was working fine yesterday.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turned it on and it played for 20 seconds and then just shut off.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2012 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this set is nearly at the end of its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set, diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a receiver of this type/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new model with a fresh warranty and updated features in the $300 or less range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will try this. Of note I had it plugged into a power surge.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** know how it works out, and I'll advise further if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

Do you need more help with this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not working. At all any other knowledge you can share other than an expensive and extensive diagnostic testing would be appreciative.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 year ago.

There is none, the reset process is really the extent of what you can do as the end user.

Anything beyond that would require repairs, or more economically, replacement. You can buy a new and better model for less than fixing this one, which is really the only remaining option and your best course of action at this point.

I'd recommend a Denon model which tend to be better built and longer lasting. Example: http://amzn.to/2a6dLX2

Best regards, ***** ***** again for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 12 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?