Louie, Technician
Experience:  Have been in the business 25+ yrs., down to component level.
13948492

I have just moved and after putting the equipment back

Customer Question

Hello, I have just moved and after putting the equipment back together, it seems the SW channel is not working. My JL is demoing ok, but though hooked up correctly, nothing comes out of the sub. I went back to the setup on my Denon AVR-3806 and made sure the sub
settings are on, but the channel seems dead. I also can't get the setup to work like it did
the first time I balanced the room in the other home. It will check to see if all the speakers
are connected, but no bleep-blerp sounds to balance acoustics. Can you help without taking
the unit in for service?
Jeff
Category: Home Theater-Stereo
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jeff and welcome to JustAnswer,

Thank you for the question and your patience. Should you still need assistance for information purposes only...

Initially, let's try a fresh start; have you considered / tried a RESET?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Louie, how do I reset?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Consider a RESET. A reset is both a test and a try of a fix. As it implies, a reset would force the unit to revert back to factory defaults removing glitches and config errors but would include memories, presets and user preferences. After a reset, the initial setup would have to be performed. If have not been done and should you venture to try: Please click HERE.

May have to be done a number of times.

This is very critical - a reset however would not be corrective of a hardware concern; but it would be confirmed. In some instances, it may even expose/cause other issues.

Please post back results / observations of the above once tried.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this RESET is done through the setup process?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Jeff but no. Were you able to view the RESET procedures as shown HERE ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Louie, I'll try the Reset process and hope for the best. If it doesn't work I should take it in?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Not yet Jeff as there are still other reviews / checks that can be done.

Bear with us; re-confirm and post back with the complete model number of the subwoofer please.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what you mean, but here is the mod. # ***** I know it is a few years old, and the remote stinks, but I will fix it
if I can.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

...and the subwoofer model ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Error on the mod.#, sorry Louie. Mod. # *****
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

...and the subwoofer model ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JL Fathom F113
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate the additional information.

Please post back results / observations once the RESET has been tried.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I try the Reset later and post back the results.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Thanks.

Would look forward to an update then when able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Louie!
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Cheers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Louie, I have run and re-run the unplug and re-start several times, the the Reset procedure several times, without any success
in restoring the SW. At first I realized I was not triggering the setup properly, but when I did, it could not register all the speakers for the test, and stopped. No feed back so I canceled out and tried again. I think there is a bigger problem since it
can't do a setup. I better take it in, as I'm frustrated, and need help. I tried to at least get it back to where it was working without the SW, but no, now there is nothing. I have the TV hooked up to the cable box, and my wife is ticked off at me.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Jeff,

Are you able to set the speakers to SMALL?

Still, if the RESET was not corrective and as posted above, then yes; i.e. it would most likely point to an internal hardware issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hay, sorry for the delay Louie, I was trying the Cust. Serv. email when I thought I was doing the re-login wrong. Now, yes I
have a choice for size and it registers correctly Large and small. It takes the SW yes also and seems to not it properly, but
sends no signal.
So, as I asked in the email a couple minutes ago, where do you recommend I take it for service? I have spoiled my wife and
she is ticked off at me for not being able to get it back on line. TV to cable box stinks, so I will need to rush this or she may
come unglued. Call me frustrated, with this one, and I just want to fix it and get it back on line.
thank for you patience, Louie.
Jeff
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

No prob Jeff and please click HERE.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! Thanks for all the help, even if it didn't work this time. The late hour last time reminded me of Vietnam, and the Technician I used to spend time with over my Kenwood and Whorfdales at 2am or so because we couldn't sleep.
Jeff
Expert:  Louie replied 1 year ago.

Great!

Good luck and thank you too for the opportunity to be able to exchange information.